Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Religous Sights in Florence (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/religous-sights-in-florence-844904/)

Amy_Mich Jun 14th, 2010 06:36 AM

Religous Sights in Florence

Everything I read about the major Churches and Vatican Museums in Rome stresses how important it is to have shoulders and knees covered. Is this also required in the Baptistry, Duomo and Santa Croce in Florence?

Palenque Jun 14th, 2010 06:41 AM

Yes IME

adrienne Jun 14th, 2010 07:22 AM

All Italian churches request that you cover your shoulders and knees.

franco Jun 14th, 2010 07:22 AM

Everywhere in churches throughout Italy. They actually kick you out of many places otherwise.

StCirq Jun 14th, 2010 07:22 AM

You should be prepared for that anywhere in Italy.

franco Jun 14th, 2010 07:23 AM

Not bad actually: three persons posting the same reply at exactly the same minute!

BigRuss Jun 14th, 2010 07:25 AM

This is a matter of respect.

And franco is right, you can get the boot from churches (or be barred from entry) for not covering adequately.

zeppole Jun 14th, 2010 09:50 AM

Men are often asked to remove their baseball caps.

J62 Jun 14th, 2010 09:54 AM

Why do men need to be asked to remove their baseball caps before entering a church?

Palenque Jun 15th, 2010 09:46 AM

Why do men need to be asked to remove their baseball caps before entering a church?>

Yes indeed and women have to cover their heads - i guess this makes God a sexist?

ellenem Jun 15th, 2010 10:01 AM

"Why do men need to be asked to remove their baseball caps before entering a church?"

Because baseball caps should be removed anytime one comes indoors.

Alec Jun 15th, 2010 10:05 AM

As for the specifics of those three places in Florence, there is no obvious dress code for the Baptistry. There is often a guard/uniforned staff at the entrance to the Duomo, and they can deny entry to inappropriately dressed.
Santa Croce - rarely anyone at the door to enforce the rules, but the expections are that people conform to them.

ellenem Jun 15th, 2010 10:09 AM

While some of these religious sights may not have staff posted at the door to enforce a dress code, most sights will have a sign at the door featuring drawings of the preferred type of dress as well as camera use while inside.

Myer Jun 15th, 2010 10:13 AM

What does baseball have to do with anything?

A peaked hat? Or is it a peeked hat?

vjpblovesitaly Jun 15th, 2010 10:18 AM

"Why do men need to be asked to remove their baseball caps before entering a church?"

Because some are too dumb to do it w/o being asked

Margaretlb Jun 15th, 2010 11:34 AM

"Yes indeed and women have to cover their heads - i guess this makes God a sexist?"

Women have not had to cover their heads since Vatican II which ended in 1965.

jabez Jun 16th, 2010 09:15 AM

I've noticed that most churches now allow men to come in wearing shorts, something a few years ago never happened.

Pegontheroad Jun 16th, 2010 09:46 AM

What Ellenem said.

Also men should have the common courtesy to remove their hats in any religious building--except maybe a synagogue. I'm not sure about the synagogue.

And get rid of your chewing gum, for gosh sake!

franco Jun 16th, 2010 10:06 AM

Not "maybe". Men are not allowed into synagogues without their heads covered.

nytraveler Jun 16th, 2010 11:32 AM

Women are NOT required to cover their head - and every man shold know you don;t wear a hat indoors - ever, unless specifically requied by your religion. It's simply rude.