Help! Where to stay Loire Valley

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2016, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We want to stay two nights to visit Chateaus. We will have a car. We like bed and breakfasts or small Inns but so far nothing is hitting me. Originally I thought I wanted to stay in a chateau but for some reason that has lost it's appeal. Maybe a small town with some shops and restaurants would be good.
Old Oct 10th, 2016, 01:34 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I stayed in several towns & villages as I walked from chateau to chateau and liked Chinon best. Recommend staying right in town. There are several nice small hotels, ours was facing the river across the road but not recent enough, so look on Trip Advisor for ratings. A very walkable town with a lovely setting on the Vienne.
Old Oct 10th, 2016, 01:43 PM

Chinon is a good choice, and also relatively central to both "ends" of the valley.
Old Oct 10th, 2016, 01:48 PM

We have stayed at 5 B&Bs and one hotel in the Loire Valley. This B&B is our favorite, La bihourderie. It's not in town but for us that's a plus.

http://www.labihourderie.com

It's near enough to Loches that you can go to town for dinner.
Old Oct 10th, 2016, 02:02 PM

I like Amboise though too touristy in season for some- neat old castle of its own and easy drives thru a lovely forest to Chenonceau and a bit farther to Chambord and Azay-le-Rideau - my three favorite Loire castles. One of the very best situated towns for visiting many places.

Amboise has a popular outdoor market some days - is on the Loire at one of its most comely spots and also have the Close Luce - Leonardo da Vinci's pad when Francois I brought him her when he was over the hill in Florence as a symbol on the Renaissance coming to France - it is said- now you can see models of his inventions in the house and gardens.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ambo...w=1920&bih=950

For something unique there are some B&Bs in Amboise' troglydyte houses: https://www.google.com/search?q=ambo...w=1920&bih=950

If you want a smaller town way off the tourist track check out Onzain- just a few miles from Amboise - a big village really.
Old Oct 10th, 2016, 02:19 PM

Check out Auberge du Bon Laboreur in Chenonceau, right across the street from the Chateau itself. Lovely environs and delicious food. We stayed there after leaving Dijon.
Old Oct 10th, 2016, 02:53 PM

We stayed at Le Vieux Manoir in Amboise.

https://le-vieux-manoir.com/

I recommend Le Vieux Manoir. In addition to it being a great place to stay, Gloria, the owner, is very friendly and will help you on planning your chateau visits and restaurant selections. The breakfasts are special.
Old Oct 10th, 2016, 04:19 PM

I stayed at Chateau de Chissay, very near Chennonceau and Ambroise. A small and very historical chateau that once belonged to Diane du Pottier (sp?). Great location for driving around easily to the chateaux named above and with its own excellent restaurant.

My trip was way back in 1998 so check current reviews. If it still gets good reviews I would highly recommend!
Old Oct 10th, 2016, 05:08 PM
kja

I was pleased with my decision to stay at the hotel inside the Abbaye Royale de Fontevraud, which still gets good reviews:
http://hotel-fontevraud.com/en/
You can walk the grounds after it closes to the public, and at least when I was there, the room rate included a ticket for the abbey.
Old Oct 10th, 2016, 05:09 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Le Manoir les Minimes and loved it. Fantastic breakfast, close to town, easy to park the car, and central to all the sights in the Loire Valley.

http://www.manoirlesminimes.com/en/
Old Oct 10th, 2016, 05:24 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Kja, I also stayed at Fontevraud, after Chinon. Though upscale, it didn't seem to lose the feeling of a monastery which I enjoyed very much. I especially admired the interior shutters on my window and wish I could have similar ones at home. Someday. The restaurant was also very good.
Old Oct 10th, 2016, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone, I'll get right on it.
Old Oct 13th, 2016, 12:47 AM
Original Poster

Again, thanks to all who replied. We ended up staying at a B&B called
La Maison Blanche in Amboise. We loved it!
It is a beautiful country side property but within the town. We turned up the lane and we're thrilled with the look and ambiance right away. Then the owner-Annick-came out the door with such delightful enthusiasm like she has known us for years so we were really hooked. There are two llamas, two horses (in Normandy during our visit), and a wonderful and funny Great Dane called Lulu. All of this and a 15 minute walk to the town center. All chateaus very easy drives for day trips.