Packing for an end of August/Early September Europe Trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2013, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. My husband and I are in our late 20s are are coming to Amsterdam, Brussels, and Paris for 10 days, leaving this Sunday. I'm kind of confused about what to pack. Here in NY it is still summer, but it seems that in northern Europe it will be getting chilly around then.

Any Europeans able to help out? What do you wear/pack in those destinations this time of year?

Thanks!
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 08:31 PM

Check the weather report a couple of days before you leave; weather in those places is variable from year to year, just as it is in most locations in the temperate zone.
A few years ago we were in Paris end of Aug., and women were wearing pashminas around their necks; traveled for 10 days or so, and when we returned to Paris, we needed the A/C in the hotel. Just depends!
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 11:55 PM

I pack what I always pack for a holiday in this area, summer or winter - layers and waterproofs.

It is due to be around 20C in Amsterdam the coming couple of weeks. Some risk of showers, and the evenings are definitely getting chilly. Paris should be a bit warmer.

So bring something warmer to wear for the evenings, Nothing ridiculously warm, just a lightweight cardigan or sweater, and either an umbrella or a lightweight waterproof just in case.
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 03:15 AM

<i>It is due to be around 20C in Amsterdam the coming couple of weeks.</i>
Long term forecasts (anything longer than, say, 3 days away) are to be taken with more than just a pinch of salt.

For Amsterdam, you may find some useful forecasts (up to a week in advance) here:
http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/amsterdam_ijhaven
other well known forecast sources:
http://www.buienradar.nl/weersverwac...uery=amsterdam
http://www.yr.no/place/Netherlands/N...rdam/long.html

I certainly would bring a sweater, not just for the evenings - temperatures are expected to drop end of next week.
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 04:46 AM

We normally travel to Europe in September. We go at least every other year. I have foune that September weather is usually typical late summer weather with warm or even hot days and cool evenings and mornings. I would take a sweater and perhaps a light weight rain jacket. Travel light and use layers if it is cool. Check the forecast before you pack but, as noted above, it is not too reliable more than a few days ahead.
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 06:08 AM

The temperature can be all over the map. The weather forecast you see now for near the end of your trip can be way off. For trips in this time in France, I have had cold and heavy rain to heat wave above 90F everyday.
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 06:17 AM

It is not an easy answer to your question, since the weather is changing from summer to automn at the moment. But if you are prepared for all kinds of wheater, except extreme cold and extreme hot you will be fine I think
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 07:58 AM

It's true that north of the alps will not be as hot as Italy and Spain - where it's still high summer. I would take a light sweater and a very thin (tissue weight) rain jacket with hood. Can be a little chilly if rainy at night - but not cold anywhere. Make sure you have waterproof walking shoes and a study folding umbrella.
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 09:12 AM

actually, the weather in NYC is pretty similar to that part of Europe, so it's the same issue. It could easily get coolor in NYC within the next 10 days, also.
Old Aug 31st, 2013, 09:38 AM

Less is More!Do not overpack, as moving around to 3 different cities it hardly matters that you will be wearing the same thing 2 or 3 times... Clothing/street fashion in Europe in general is casual, but well put together. Please try to avoid white sneakers, fanny paks and baseball caps!
Layers are your best bet, as the weather can be all over the board.
Nice jeans, black slacks, leggings are ok- especially with boots or a short skirt..light weight jacket,Nice scarf or 2- the European women can do amazing things with scarves! A few sweaters-nothing bulky...again think layers.. carry a light weight tote so as the day warms up you can just throw your sweater into the bag. If you are truely worried about it getting cold, I would suggest a lightweight front zip fleece vest, that could work under a jacket....
Don't know if you would be interested but, you can always check out the flea markets and 2nd hand shops... The Jeu de Balle market in Brussels is every day and is tons of fun! lots of clothes and scarves.

Besides, a small suitcase is much easier to handle...think stairs, traffic and cobblestones!