Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Relative spends all night packing for her annual 2 week trip to Europe

Oct 5th, 2007, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

A relative of mine is a teacher and has the summer off. She loves to go to Europe and goes on an annual two week trip there with her husband every June.

Every month, I enjoy hearing about how stressed she is about packing for the trip. She starts packing about midnight and spends all night making sure their bags are perfectly packed. She is up all night working on packing. By the time she finally arrives at the Portland Oregon International Airport, she and her husband are "sick tired" from stress and lack of sleep. By the time they make it to Europe they have gone two days without sleep. (Can not sleep sitting up in exonomy class no matter how tired they are) They usually stay at budget hotels in Europe, which will not allow them to check in until 3pm in the afternoon, so they are forced to walk the streets in a semi zombie state until check in.

Is it common for people to spend all night packing their bags before a trip to Europe?
Oct 5th, 2007, 05:43 AM

For two days or two weeks, it takes me 15 minutes.
Oct 5th, 2007, 05:44 AM

My question is why? If she is a teacher, should she not be an organized person? And if she has summers off, does she not have many days at home to do the packing? Why ruin the first few days of your holiday by actions at home? With some rough planning (pick up a few things at the store) I can pack in 2 hours...or less
Oct 5th, 2007, 05:45 AM

I do as much as possible in advance but can't totally finish off until after we've got up on the day of departure. So typical flight time of 0630 - 2 hours to get to the airport, check in etc - 1.5 hrs normal getting up time - 1 hr to allow plenty of time to finish packing = getting up at 2am : and that's just to get to Italy from Scotland
Oct 5th, 2007, 05:46 AM

I can't imagine, I pack the morning that I'm leaving.
Oct 5th, 2007, 05:48 AM

I have a packing list I reuse each vacation, customized for the trip. As much as I can is usually packed the weekend before - that allows me several days to think about anything I might be missing. The last things (toiletries, mostly) go in the morning I leave. No stress.

However, I almost like the idea of staying up all night the night before, it would help me sleep on the flight
Oct 5th, 2007, 05:53 AM

About two weeks before I go on a long trip, I go through my closet and find shirts and pants to pack. I hang them from the bedroom door and look at them for a week or two. Eventually, I decide what to take and what not to take. But the bottom line is, Credit Card, Passport, Driver's License. That is all you really need.

I avoid packing two shirts or pants that are almost identical. I avoid linen material--it looks great on the Europeans, but I did not go to Europe to Iron. If it is cotton, it needs to be combed cotton.

Jeans take up a lot of room so I only pack one pair. They also take too long to dry.
Oct 5th, 2007, 06:19 AM

I will pick up things here and there months before. About 2 weeks before, I assess all of our clothes. I start my packing about a week ahead. I usually finish us up in a couple of days. I would never pack the night before. Way too stressful!!!
Oct 5th, 2007, 06:24 AM

Apart from toileteries...can one not have a bag packed and ready...say, a week before the trip?

Of course, I do "guy packing"
Oct 5th, 2007, 06:31 AM

I take off work the day before a trip, throw my clothes into a bag and get to bed as early as I can. I then get up at about 3:00 a.m. so that I am tired and can sleep on the flight over, not to finish packing.
Years ago I bought extra toiletries and makeup just for travel so that I don't have to wait until after I clean up on the morning of a trip to pack those items. I simply make sure everything is stocked at the end of a trip and put it away for the next trip. No stress and when I return home I don't have to immediatly look for my toothbrush as it is already in the bathroom since the one I took with me is a spare.
I can't imagine staying up all night just to pack a bag. That would be much too stressful and you would miss a full day of vacation due to the zombie state upon arrival. Awful.
Oct 5th, 2007, 06:49 AM

And I wonder just how long it takes her to pack for the return. I can't think that it would be any different. Seriously, I cannot relate unless these people just have so much clothing to choose from, they have difficult in what to take. For me, same old pants and shirts, socks and shorts. Takes a max of 5 minutes.
Oct 5th, 2007, 07:06 AM

I never take anything that I have not worn before.
Oct 5th, 2007, 07:12 AM

That's crazy.

If you take a 22 inch, as I do, it doesn't take that long to pack. Of course, I'm not a fashion plate, either, so that simplifies things.

I think the list of stuff you want to take is a great idea.

I take dark pants, one pair of walking shoes and one pair of dressier shoes. Some tops and a sweater or jacket. Some socks and underwear. A few other odds and ends, depending on the time of year. I keep a little bag filled with notions ready packed.

I travel from an inland city in the west, so I first have to cross the U.S. before I cross the Atlantic. So I"ve figured out ways to sleep in coach, though I'm still not my sparkling normal self when I get off the plane.

When you have only two weeks, you don't want to be a zombie for the first couple of days.
Oct 5th, 2007, 07:15 AM

I take all black and put it all on the bed. Take a few scarves for color. Takes about and hour for any trip. I always recall my mother's advise "Take half the clothes and double the money"
Oct 5th, 2007, 07:24 AM

I also cannot imagine. As soon as I buy a plane ticket I start picturing what I'm going to pack. If I need anything, I buy it months before the trip (although these days between trips and kids all of my clothes are durable, stain resistant and wash and wear!). I have a "to go" bag with all my toiletries and my makeup is in a separate bag (back and forth to our cabin every other weekend so it's nicely pared down). I pack a couple of days before the trip and refine the night before. As far as teachers being required to be organized--there is no law, teachers come in all sorts of personality types!
Oct 5th, 2007, 07:30 AM

I can sort of understand this. I do have a 'packing list' to work from. I pack two* suitcases, one backpack and one daybag/purse.(*mine + hubby's). For some reason yet to be identified by me, it takes me at least 6-8 hours to 'pack'. I think I have too many travel gadgets and definitely am too A/R(LOL). The last two trips, we have departed mid-week and I've had to work the couple days before, thus forcing me to pack on the weekend. I found this very stress-reducing, because (even though I've completed the packing by Sunday) I could still make a last-minute change on Monday or Tuesday. I'm going to pack the previous weekend for every trip from now on.
Oct 5th, 2007, 07:41 AM

I'm a last minute packer, too ... I've tried packing in advance, but then I always seem to forget what's in the bag and what's not, and I end up having to take everything out to see.

That said, I don't stay up all night packing - it probably takes me a half hour to pack, and I do it the day before we leave.

Sounds as if your teacher friend obssesses a bit!
Oct 5th, 2007, 07:46 AM

Come to that, why isn't her husband packing his own bag?
Oct 5th, 2007, 07:54 AM

I used to whip out the suitcases the second I booked our flight, but the last trip to Italy I "forced" myself to keep the suitcases hidden away until about 5 days before departure.

Going through and picking what to take can be done in your head long before you start packing - it usually only takes me 45 minutes or so to pack what I want, same for the DH.

I usually get up early the day of departure b/c of butterflies and excitement (woohoo!!!! holiday!) and I pack the toiletries then. I am just not organized and with it enough to keep a "spare" set of products set aside only for trips. Not stressful though - just gets me more excited!

However...my next trip will be a relocation trip - and I will be basically packing my life in to how ever many suitcases I need - now THAT will be stressful. I'll only have 3 weeks notice to prepare too (from time the work permit comes in to departure). Might be pulling an all nighter with that one.
Oct 5th, 2007, 08:00 AM

I have a permanent packing list I keep on the computer. I'll print it off a week or so ahead of time and start collecting items that need replacing (small toiletries, my clothesline is disintegrating, etc) and collect things on the dining room table. I'll pack either the day before (and try to get a reasonable night's sleep - I'm usually excited!) or in the morning for a late afternoon flight. I don't get too exercised about packing, but I do worry about taking all the important stuff like passport and tickets, and check them several times on the way to the airport!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO