Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Relais St. Germain sold out (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/relais-st-germain-sold-out-163652/)

Elsa Feb 21st, 2002 02:10 PM

Relais St. Germain sold out

Can anyone suggest a comparable hotel to Relais St. Germain as that one is sold out for the nights we would like. We would like to stay in that area which is the 6th Ar.<BR><BR>Thank you in advance.

Sue Feb 21st, 2002 02:34 PM

Le Fleurie has been highly recommmended; also near Odeon. It was booked for mid-April when I tried (but with a booking website); when are you going? How did you get through to Relais St. Germain?<BR><BR>You might try www.france.com<BR><BR>You can input dates, area and price range and see what's available on their site. That might allow you to choose a few to inquire about here. They do have customer comments (even bad ones), too. I have used them several times and they have always been reliable.

Wendy Feb 21st, 2002 03:53 PM

Elsa,<BR><BR>Relais St. Christine, also in the sixth, is one of our favorite hotels. It's a small place that was once a monastery. The rooms are quietly elegant, especially the ones facing the garden, and it couldn't be more comfortable or convenient-- ten-fifteen minutes to Notre Dame, same to the Louvre-- five minutes to the restaurants of the Latin Quarter. If you go, check out the lovely restaurant that is to the right of the hotel entrance as you walk out. It has great food and wine for relatively unParisian prices. If only I could remember the name!... If you can't get in here, the Hotel Fleurie is excellent, not quite as special as Relais St. Christine, but still very nice. Good luck!

Sue Feb 21st, 2002 08:05 PM

Wendy, I think it's Relais Christine.<BR><BR>www.relais-christine.com<BR><BR>I've drooled over it, but it's just too pricy for me!

Christina Feb 22nd, 2002 09:44 AM

I'm not sure exactly comparable, but at the nicer end of 3-stars, you might think about the Hotel de l'Odeon and the Hotel St-Germain des Pres (www.hotel-paris-saint-germain.com).<BR>Cheap Sleeps in Paris said both of these were really worth the extra splurge (over the cheaper listings) in style and service and both have excellent locations as you want.

Sue Feb 22nd, 2002 10:45 AM

I like the Hotel des Marroniers on rue Jacob (great location, and it's set off from the street in a courtyard) and I hear good things about the Angleterre on the same street.

Elsa Feb 22nd, 2002 06:30 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions. When I checked the Relais St. Germain on a website (not theirs)it showed no rooms available for the dates we needed. Someone suggested faxing them, so I did - when I was finally able to locate a FAX no. for them. They answered very promptly, and they had rooms available. If you can find a FAX no. or e-mail address for a hotel, that seems the best way to go. At least, that's what I've concluded from this experience. Maybe that doesn't always work either??????