Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Reina Victoria in Ronda (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/reina-victoria-in-ronda-200533/)

joan Apr 15th, 2002 03:35 PM

Reina Victoria in Ronda

Has anyone ever stayed at the Hotel Reina Victoria? I can get a cheaper deal there than at the parador and the pictures look great.

ron Apr 15th, 2002 05:05 PM

Since you used the word "ever", we stayed at the Reina Victoria in 1968. It was an excellent hotel, comparable to the Alhambra Palace in Granada and the parador in Avila. But that was nearly 34 years ago - maybe someone else has had a more recent experience.

Dick Apr 15th, 2002 05:26 PM

Stayed there a few years ago and it was just fine. We had the last room on the first floor on the end opposite from town (north?) - the balcony just about hangs out over the cliff and the views are spectacular.

joan Apr 16th, 2002 02:42 AM

Thank you for your help. Even info about 1968 is helpful. Part of why I was interested in this hotel is because it has a history. Thank you. Joan

Paul Apr 16th, 2002 03:33 AM

Yes. We stayed there for one night about two weeks ago. Its very quiet and our room at least had a renovated bathroom. Its about a seven minute walk to the parador and has nice grounds with spectacular views (and sunsets).

Karen Apr 20th, 2002 10:46 PM

Since you will be in Ronda, thought I'd throw in a restaurant recommendation from our visit a couple weeks ago (we spent the afteroon in this lovely town, but did not stay overnight). We ate at a restaurant called Pedro Romero directly across from the bullring. Interesting bullfighting decor and very good food (great bread too). The employees were also quite nice - overall a very nice dining experience and great strolling town.

Joan Apr 21st, 2002 09:49 AM

Thank you Karen.<BR><BR>The restaurant you mentioned has a nice web site and we were thinking of eating there. Any other recommendations?<BR><BR>Joan

Paul Apr 26th, 2002 04:53 AM

Arguably one of the best restaurants in Andalucia is in Ronda. Its is Tragabuches near the bullring. This an upscale restaurant although not too expensive. The menu is somewhat limited in terms of number of items, so don't expect to find staples like paella, gazpacho, simple salads, etc.

Maribel Apr 28th, 2002 03:18 PM

joan,<BR>My first stay at the Reina Victoria was in 1970-it's been around since 1906, built by the English as a retreat to house British engineers from Gibraltar during the construction of the Algeciras rail route, I believe. Every time I'm in Ronda I still walk up there from the Alameda del Tajo gardens past the view point, the Mirador, along the Paseo de los ingleses to the hotel grounds, as the views from the gardens behind the hotel are truly spectacular. Hemingway stayed here when coming to see his friend Antonio Ordonez fight at the historic 18th c Plaza de Toros (the cathedral of modern bullfighting), and bullfighters and their entourages still stay at the R.V. for the corridas goyescas in September. The German poet Rainer Maria Rilke spent 3 months writing there, and his room has been preserved as a kind of museum-you'll see his statue in the garden. It now belongs to the Husa chain and gets a lot of tour bus business. &euml;t has long been eclipsed by others, such as the Parador, the Casona de la Ciudad, the Alavera de los Banos, and my favorite, the San Gabriel, as the prettiest, most elegantly decorated hotel in Ronda, and now kind of rests on its past glory. It's certainly serviceable and has a pool, but the others have more charm. A Fodor friend who stayed there last summer on her honeymoon (when no rooms were to be had at the Parador or elsewhere) said that the hotel reminded her of the movie "The Shining", gloomy, an old fashioned relic. I haven't stayed there in years.<BR>For a truly great deal, an exceptional value, I'd stay at the charming Hotel San Gabriel. It's a real gem, decorated with antiques and run with loving care by a delightful, well known Ronda family-but it's very small, on the English country house theme, and has no pool.<BR><BR>Hope this helps you to decide.