Reina Victoria Hotel (Madrid) Opinions

Old Oct 1st, 2000, 01:35 PM
John

Reina Victoria Hotel (Madrid) Opinions

Will be staying in Madrid for 4 days the 1st week of November. Travel agent has booked us at the Reina Victoria hotel. Would welcome any feedback from previous guests. Loud noise from the street? Good central location? Also, what side trips would you recommend rather than spending all 4 days in Madrid? <BR>John

Old Oct 1st, 2000, 05:32 PM
Deena

Stayed at the Reina Victoria last year. The hotel is centrally located on a very busy square (Plaza Santa Ana). We had a deluxe room facing the square and it was very loud at night (thank goodness for ear plugs!). We looked at rooms in the back which were more quiet but they seemed dark. The furnishings and decor are a bit dated and worn. Still...the location was very good. Not a bad hotel if you don't mind the noise. As for side trips, both Segovia and Toledo are easy day trips and are well worth visits. Enjoy your trip!! <BR>

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 10:53 PM
Antonio Banderas

I stayed there two weeks ago. It's a pretty nice hotel, room was great and the bathroom was spotless. <BR> <BR>Location is in the Plaza Santa Ana which is ver near Puerta Del Sol (the middle ground of madrid). The Plaza Santa Ana has restaurants on one side of the square and at night is livens up. Also there is a great restaurant named GULA GULA near the hotel. Ask the front desk where this place is because the street its on escapes me. The food is traditonal Spanish cuisine with a modern twist to it. The Hotel is also located around lots of little cafes where breakfast is better had than at the hotel. Anymore questions lemme know, I've got pictures of the hotel and the square. <BR> <BR>-Antonio

Old Oct 7th, 2000, 11:11 AM
Kathleen

I stayed at the Reina Victoria last year as well. I found it to be very well located - lots of tapas bars, a five minute walk down hill to The Prado/Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza and plenty of restaurants. The rooms were comfortable and clean, but I felt it was expensive for what it was and it was very loud at night until 3-4am. (There is a park in the center of Plaza Santa Ana and people spill into it from the bars). On more recent trips I have stayed at the Hotel Anglais just a couple of blocks away. The rooms were smaller, but clean and fine and the staff was professional and accommodating. The Reina Victoria makes a grander impression with its location at the head of the plaza and its large common areas with a restaurant, but these are not priorities for me. Either way, have a wonderful time. <BR> <BR>P.S. In the event you take a taxi from the airport, it should cost 2500 - 3000 pesetas. On my first trip there the driver tried to charge me 7500 pesetas (when we got in the taxi, the meter was hidden from view). I sensed this was too much and when we got to our destination I asked a local what the fare should be. He castigated the driver on my behalf and I paid the lower amount.

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 09:55 AM
les

We loved the Reina Victoria when we stayed there last year. Yes there was some noise outside, but excuse me, we were on vacation and stayed out late as well (considering that even an early dinner would start at 10pm, may I suggest an afternoon nap?) We found the location ideal for walking to the major museums, Plaza del Sol and Plaza Mayor, and the bars and restaurants in the immediate vicinity were all quite pleasant (El Cauldron -sp?- was our favorite).