Firenze Card and Roma Pass

Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firenze Card and Roma Pass

Hello. I am hoping to get clarification on both the Firenze card and the Roma Pass. Has anyone used these and are they worth the price?

Both the Uffizi and Accademia are covered under the Firenze card. I have also read that reservations should be made in advance for both museums. Would the Firenze card enable me to visit both museums without making reservations, as well as not having to queue?

The website for the Roma Pass says, “direct access for the first 2 sites. From the 3rd site onwards please apply to the ticket office for concession”. Does this indicate that one can skip the queue for the first two sites and not the others since one must go to the ticket office after the first two sites? Thank you!
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 11:26 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I think it would be hard to get the value of the Firenze Card (50€). The historic center is really compact so it's unlikely you will use the transport part. The admission to the Uffizi and Accademia is 6.50€ each unless there is an exhibition and then an extra 3.50€ is tacked on. You can make reservations for those museums for the museum website if you don't want to be inline for tickets. There is a 4 € booking fee.
http://www.polomuseale.firenze.it/en/index.php

The Roma Pass lets you skip the line for the first two because they are free. After that, it's only a discount so you have to pay for the difference. The best value is to use the free entrances for the more expensive sites (Colosseum/Forum/Palantine is 12€ and counts as one entrance).
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 11:47 AM

But even with the Roma Pass, you still have to make a reservation when required, such as for the Galleria Borghese (another good one to use the Roma Pass for).

One way to see the Accademia without standing in line is to arrive 45 minutes before closing on a weekday (around 6:15 on a typical day that the museum is not open late). It's usually not very crowded, and you can pop in to see David without too much trouble. Crowds are probably more of a problem in the summer, but I was able to do this without any problem at all on a September Tuesday. We went right before dinner. The museum is open on Tuesday until 10 this summer through the end of September.
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 12:02 AM

We've bought the Roma Pass three times now - on visits when we knew in advance we'd be making frequent use of the public transport system...

Whilst people will tell you that Rome's a walking city, in all it covers 500 square miles - and extends well beyond the 5 or 6 that make up the "historic centre"!

The pack includes several handy elements, particularly a leaflet which details current exhibitions - and a good map, that has transport routes etc for many of the main sites, viz:

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/131811136

Ours have been back and forth between Ischia and the capital many times now!

Not sure that we saved or lost more than a Euro or two from having them, but very convenient - so maybe think of it more as a way to enhance your visit?

Peter

PS: Try FAQ 1.3 here for clarification of the queueing position with the RomaPass...

http://www.romapass.it/p.aspx?l=en&tid=33#faqq3
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your quick responses with the information. It has been helpful!