Notices

register with the state dep't.

Old Feb 19th, 2005, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
register with the state dep't.

the state department is now recommending that travelers register foreign travel so that emergency notification can be made when necessary--such as in the recent tsunami disaster. formerly the recommendation was for registering in the case of long-term travel or living abroad, but the guidelines recently changed.

the link for registration is

https://travelregistration.state.gov.

the new condé nast traveler has a short article about this subject on page 62.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 09:01 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
is this the same state department that can't locate anyone including convicted felons and known terrorists?
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 09:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hadn't heard that the Department of State has assumed any law enforcement or intelligence functions. Isn't their role restricted to diplomacy?
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey, there's no law that says anyone has to register--just those who want to. lighten up.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 09:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Someone recently started a similar thread.... Maybe you both read the same article somewhere..?
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34568316
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 01:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
seems pointless to me, I don't believe for a minute the US state dept is going to be dialing up every tourist in a country that has a natural disaster. I would never register my whereabouts with them, if you want to seek their help, you can go to them. As for people being able to locate you in an emergency, wouldn't it make a lot more sense to leave that information with your family in the first place?
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 01:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always leave my itinerary with my family, but I suspect the new policy is a reaction to the situation where the infrastructure is destroyed, and your hotel is no longer there for your family to check with you. Who do you think they would call then?

These threads are so typically American. We whine when the State Department can't provide assistance in emergencies; and we whine when they propose a workable solution.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 01:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't speak about the State Department, but in recent disasters like the Bali bombings and tsunami event the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and its diplomats have had to put in a huge effort to trace missing Australians, help coordinate aid responses, arrange repatriations etc., and by common agreement they've done an outstanding job.

I doubt that I'll register with them all the same, but I can't see what harm it could do. I was puzzled to read some of the responses on that other thread. The worries of some posters about their government knowing their whereabouts seemed to result from having watched too many "X Files" episodes.