Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

"Regis: I'd like to use a lifeline and call a friend." Fodorites, help me choose: France, Italy or Greece?

Search

"Regis: I'd like to use a lifeline and call a friend." Fodorites, help me choose: France, Italy or Greece?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've started planning a mid-May trip to Europe and have several possible itineraries. We can't decide! The more research I do, the more undecided we become.

About us: 3 adults, early-to-mid 40's. These itineraries would be "first-times" for all of us (although 2 of us have had some limited time in the Cote D'Azur).

What we like to do: We love history, art, architecture, wandering, walking/hiking (not intensive hiking), taking pictures, shopping (probably more browsing than buying), and just soaking up the culture.

So, here are the possible itineraries. All trips are for 8 days (excluding travel days) for the second or third week of May 2009. We prefer to rent apartments where we can.

Cote D'Azure: Base ourselves in a lovely coastal town (Antibes?). Spend days touring costal and inland villages using combination public transportation and rental car.

Italy:

Itinerary 1: 8 Days in Rome

Itinerary 2: Amalfi Coast and Capri (spend 3 nights in Capri, and base ourselves for 5 days somewhere else - Positano?)

Itinerary 3: Venice and Florence

Greece: Where to start? Which islands and for how long in each place?

So my friends, I'm asking you for advice. Where would you go next and why?

I look forward to your feedback.
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 09:43 AM

Well, they're all good choices, but for 8 days, I'd pick the Cote d'Azure itinerary because I think it has it all. And a big thumbs up for Antibles/Juans les Pins as a base. We were there several years ago in July, at the end of a trip that included Amsterdam, Prague and Berlin, so the south of France was intended to mostly be relaxing. But everyday, after spending the late morning and early afternoon at the pool, we would get in the car and go somewhere for dinner and the evening. Everything is fairly close so it's easy to take day trips. We stuck to the coast except for Biot (we visited Cannes, Antibes, Monaco, and St. Tropez), but you could easily also go inland.
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 09:46 AM

If walking is a must I offer the following advice.

If you are considering Greece then Samos is excellent for walking - although as an island it is not mentioned nearly enough on this site. Travel agent friends reckon its the most underrated of the islands. Crete is also excellent for walking.

North Italy (as opposed to Amalfi Coast) is probably also better for walking especially around and in the Cinque Terre.

Good luck
Steve
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 12:13 PM

I always like the Rome/Amalfi coast combo in May. I would have one location on the coast for 4 nites and the balance in Rome. Or, rent an apt. from www.summerinitaly.com for a week and just the last nite in Rome.
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 12:14 PM

And, do not call me Regis !
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 01:26 PM

I'll vote for Greece, with Amalfi/Capri coming in a close second.

What I'd recommend:

Fly into Athens in time to connect on a second very short flight(about an hour) to Crete.

Base in Chania, (3 days) an old harbor city which dates from Venetian/Turkish times. Wander through the labyrinth of old town streets, enjoy the tavernas, some of which were reconstructed inside the walls of buildings bombed out during WW. 2.

Also take a harbor cruise in search of the fabled "rare type of goat" who lives on the outer islands. Or, if you're into hiking, plan a day trip into the mountain villages, or the famous Samaria Gorge, an 11-mile trek that takes you through miles of wildflowers and geological formations. There are tour operators who will take you there and back. It's a day-long trip, and you have to be in moderately decent shape for it, and even then, be prepared to hurt some after!

If none of this sounds good, take a two-hour bus trip to
a beautiful beach. Starts with an "F", and I'm suddenly blanking on the name!

On your last day, take the bus or arrange transportation to Heraklion.This is about a 2+ hour trip from Chania. Leave time if possible (depends on hydrofoil schedule) for a visit to the Archaeological Museum ( I think it's reopened by now?!) and/or The Palace of Knossos ( headquarters of The Minoans.)

Take the fast cat from the port in Heraklion to Santorini. This takes about 2.5 hours. Base in Oia (3 days)a beautiful,Greek village with whitewashed houses that has stunning views of the caldera, an ancient volcano. Sunsets over the caldera are incredible, and often draw large crowds, although not as large in May.

You can arrange a day trip with one of the captains on the island to the sulphur springs and also to the walking trails of the volcano.

Also try to get in a visit to Red Beach, which we found quite uncrowded last May.

And a real must if you're staying in Oia, is a visit to one of the great seafood restaurants ( Dimitris, Katrinas) at Amoudi Bay, which is just below Oia, and reached by several sets of stairs or a taxi.

Fly to Athens. Spend one day exploring the Acropolis and Archaeological Museum. Try to get drinks at twilight at the Grand Bretagne's 8th floor restaurant which has stunning views of the Parthenon.

Spend one day, if possible, on a short day trip to Hydra, which is reached from the port at Piraeus. We did this for the first time last May, and really loved it. Hydra is a carless island full of beautiful stone mansions that has been home to writers, artists, and many Athenians looking for an easy weekend escape for many years. There's no real beach, but plenty of swimming off the rocks. We enjoyed the one-of-a-kind boutiques there selling beautiful jewelry and handmade clothes. Also enjoyed a walk half-way around the island which had beautiful views of the coastline. Trip time from Athens is about 1.5 hours each way ( at least that's what I remember).

May is a great time to visit Greece. We've been several other times in the summer months, and May is a lot less hectic and boiling HOT. Have fun!

Old Dec 10th, 2008, 01:32 PM

Another emphatic vote for Greece in general and Santorini in depth!
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 02:02 PM

This is one of the rare "where should I go" questions where I've been to all the places in the running. You really can't go wrong with any of these choices imho.

But . . . I think with 8 days and your interests (history, art, architecture), you can easily combine choices 1 and 2 (Rome and the AC/Capri), as bobthenavigator suggests. Do a 5/3 or 4/4 split with more time in Rome, and the other time based in Amalfi or Positano. You probably won't have time to spend the night on Capri, but a day trip would be doable.
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

Bob, I promise not to refer to you as "Regis". LOL.

Greece sure sounds lovely. Rome/AC sounds lovely too.

As far as Rome/AC, do you think we'd be missing out if we only did a day trip to Capri? Or will be so overwhelmed with the beauty elsewhere that we won't really mind?

I was always thinking that 4 nights in Rome didn't do it justice, which is why I had never considered combining a Rome trip with anywhere else. This won't result in a rushed trip through Rome?

Another Rome-specific question: Which area of town would you recommend as first-time visitors to rent an apartment?

Thanks again for your help!
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 04:22 PM

I agree that both are great choices--Santorini is still the most beautiful place I have visted. Let me back up. I agree that Rome does demand more time. We did not go there until our 8th trip to Italy, and spent a week that time. So, I am back to the AC--either with an apt. for a week to save some $$$---or spend 2 nites on Capri and the rest in Positano. What wonderful options, and May is my favorite time for MED destinations.
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 07:21 PM

If you're not going to Greece this time, I'd vote for Itinerary#2. Try to fly into Naples,(this will mean a connection in a major European city or Rome) then you can go straight to the port for the boat to Capri.

Spend two nights on Capri. You'll love it. Then take a boat over to Positano, one of the most beautiful cities in Italy, for the rest of your stay on the AC.

Spend the last two nights in Rome.

If you post a budget, you'll get lots of recommendations for hotels, etc.