Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Reggio to Taormina by public transportation

Mar 16th, 2000, 09:51 PM
Tom and Lynn

We will be traveling to Sicily this April starting in Reggio di Calabria. After visiting the archiological museum in the morning, we will need to get to Taormina where we will later pick up a rental car. Any tips on how to get to Taormina?
Thanks, Tom ([email protected])

Mar 17th, 2000, 08:54 AM
Maggie

Tom,
We did a similar thing several years ago by bus. As I recall it was a little confusing since we actually started from Palermo and the information we had received there on the bus to Taormina from Reggio was wrong. But it all worked out in the end. If your staying in Reggio your hotel could probably get the info for you. By the way, we loved Taormina. Have a great time.

Mar 17th, 2000, 09:54 AM
Sue

There is a train/ferry/train connection, or at least there was in 1983 when I was there. My friend and I, drifting about Italy, took an afternoon train from Messina to Taormina. We never made it. The train broke down midway, near the coastal town of San Alessio Siculo. After a lengthy debate among the elderly locals hanging out at the station as to where two stranded, single females should stay for the night, someone walked us to the town's single hotel, a clean place right on a beautiful beach. We stayed there for almost a week. We did ultimately make it to Taormina for a day trip, but never regretted our detour.

Mar 17th, 2000, 10:21 AM
Maggie

OOPS!!!! My mental map obviously failed me and I told you how we got from Catania to Taormina---so sorry. Not that it will be terribly helpful but we eventually did sort of the reverse of what you're planning. We picked up our car at the end of our Taormina stay and took the ferry from Messina to Reggio and then drove north along the coast. Perhaps if public transit on Sicily is a little daunting you might pick up your rental in Reggio and take the ferry??

Mar 18th, 2000, 09:58 AM
lina

Last year we took a public bus from Taormina to Messina (then another to Milazzo). It took about an hour and they seemed to run quite frequently. It dropped us off right outside the train station in Messina which is near the tourist office. You will probably be taking the ferry or the ferry/train from Reggio to Messina where you can pick up the bus. Also regular trains running that route and probably you can board in Reggio.

Mar 18th, 2000, 10:49 AM
Patrick

You take a train from Reggio to Taormina, with a change at Villa SanGiovani. It is quite easy and kind of fun, especially when they put the train cars on the ferry. You can stay in your train car, or go upstairs on deck for the ten or fifteen minute connection. The train station in Taormina is right at the sea, take a bus or taxi up to the village assuming you are staying up there.

Mar 18th, 2000, 10:54 AM
Patrick

Sorry, I looked up a schedule then forgot to tell you. Perhaps best connection for you is leaving Reggio at 2:17 PM and arrival in Taormina at 5:08 PM. There are others.