Reggio-Emilia: What to do

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are headed to Reggio-Emilia in May en route from Venice to Rome and wanted to experience an area that was a little less touristy than those two mainstays. Not having been to Reggio-Emilia previously, I have no idea what to expect & am pretty excited for that, but am also a bit of a planner so am interested to know what there is to do in the area as well as reasonable day trips. Have you been there? Can you let me know what you did? What you enjoyed? What you'd avoid? Thanks!
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 09:27 AM

Reggio Emilia (*) is a dynamic emilian city, with a mainly modern look and a small old town, with few historic and cultural attractives.
Moreover, location is perfect to reach other famous turistic destination nearby.
Very close, easily reachable by train along the Bologna-Milano line where RE is also located, are Parma (****) and, on the other direction, Modena (***); both are perfect for a 1-day trip from RE. Bologna (*****) itself is few miles more distant, but needs at least a 2-days visit.
Northbound, beyond the river PO (in Lombardia) is Mantova (****), another historic town with remarkable artistic evidences. Mantova is not directly linked to RE by train, I think you can find a bus to reach it.
Another thing I suggest you can do from RE is a trip upon the hills (***) towards south. The Canossa castle (*) could be a good place for a stop, but all the area is full of castles and "Calanchi", typical and dramatic cliffs. Don't forget to ask to local people for a good place where to eat: hills are full of fantastic and generally not expensive "trattorie". For a trip through the hills you need to rent a car (and you need a sunny day too).
Other interesting destinations between RE and Po river are Correggio (*) and its rinascimental atmosphere, and the fine town of Carpi (*), both not far from RE.
A last suggestion: Sabbioneta (**) is a surprising village to see, a place where time seems to be stopped some centuries ago; it is between Parma and Mantova, better reachable by car than by train.

Maurizio - Italy
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 10:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Bookmarking for Maurizio's great information. Thanks!
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 10:43 AM

Old Feb 25th, 2009, 10:44 AM

Maurizio since you have much knowledge of the city, could you tell us if there is a Max Mara factory outlet (for Max Mara at discount prices), in RE? Many thanks!
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 11:57 AM

Mmm... outlets are not in my touristic agenda...

But my wife suggest to try this: http://www.diffusionetessile.it/bin/...25371472133360

Click for example on "abiti" (=dress) and look if this is what you are looking for.
It should be the Max Mara "spaccio", and it is located at Boretto, a village along the river Po, less than 20 miles from RE and near Sabbioneta.
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 12:40 PM

Excellent! Many thanks. Do you live in Reggio Emilia?
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 01:02 PM

No, I'm from Milan. But I've travelled a lot through all Italy, especially northern and central. I like to help people to plan trips because I'm a traveller and an heavy planner on my own.
About Italy, my country, I don't know everything, but if I don't know something, probably I know who knows it...
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Mauricio for your suggestions. I will definitely check things out!