Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Regensburg vs. Augsburg vs. Heidelberg vs. Rothenberg vs. Nuremburg (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/regensburg-vs-augsburg-vs-heidelberg-vs-rothenberg-vs-nuremburg-61360/)

Skidmore Jan 31st, 2000 12:49 PM

Regensburg vs. Augsburg vs. Heidelberg vs. Rothenberg vs. Nuremburg

We will be taking our first trip to Germany this fall. Unfortunately, we have limited amount of time. Among other places, we are considering the following for a visit: Regensburg, Augsburg, Heidelburg, Rothenburg, and Nuremburg. We probably have time for three of these towns. Which of these towns should we visit and why? Thanks.

Jim Jan 31st, 2000 01:08 PM

In summer 1998, I had to make similar choices. I chose Regensburg and thoroughly enjoyed it. With the Danube and the fact that it was not severely damaged during the war, the central area makes a nice 4-6 hour visit. It is only about an hour and a half by train from Munich. The church and old town hall visits were especially good.

wes fowler Jan 31st, 2000 03:36 PM

How do you plan to travel, by auto or train? What's your point of origin, Frankfurt or Munich? How long will you be in Germany? These are rather crucial questions that, when answered, will give us some help in developing sensible suggestions for you.

Bob Jan 31st, 2000 05:49 PM

Wes above makes a good point. Given that, I would say Heidelberg, Rothenburg and then Nuremburg (if you want to see the Nazi remains in Nuremburg). You can easily drive from Frankfurt to Heidelberg, then easy drive over to Rothenburg. Stay in Rothenburg and make Nuremburg a day trip out of Rothenburg. It all depends on where you are starting and ending from.

harzer Jan 31st, 2000 11:31 PM

I am sorry to see that some people can still only associate Nuremberg with the war trials. Of the five towns mentioned it is the one with the most to offer the tourist, if for no ther reason than the superb National Museum and toy museum. Of the others I would suggest Heidelberg and its immediate surroundings to the E and SE, and then Regensburg (cathedral, city hall and Walhalla).

Skidmore Feb 1st, 2000 06:02 AM

Thanks for your input. We will be travelling by train. We will arrive into Frankfurt and then probably base out of a city, for a few days, probably Wurzburg. My thought was that during those few days we would go to several of the cities listed above. We will then go to Munich for several days, up to Berlin, back to the Rhine, and back out of Frankfurt. By the way, does anyone know if there is an easy train connection between Wurzburg and Heidelberg (and Bad Wimpfen)? Any thoughts on Bad Wimpfen? Thanks again.

kay Feb 1st, 2000 06:53 AM

Bad Wimpfen is a small delight. Very real, as opposed to the Rothenburg experience, which is very touristy....I know, I know, I loved Rothenburg, too, but BW is great. I was there two years ago on a cool, bright, windy October day and my husband and I had it all to ourselves. Everything closes around noon for two hours, including restaurants, so plan accordingly. It's a beautiful drive along the Neckar River valley to BW over from Heidelburg, in case you feel like getting a car. Wurzburg is delightful too. Try to stay at the Hotel Walfisch (whale) with a river view. Across the river at night is a medieval fortress that is lit at night. I spent my first night in Germany in that hotel four years ago and I was so blissed out I couldn't sleep. Fortunately the fortress floodlights are turned out at midnight, or I never would have gotten to sleep. <BR>Enjoy your trip! Fall is a wonderful time to go.

wes fowler Feb 1st, 2000 12:41 PM

Regarding the ease of getting to Heidelberg from Wurzburg: there are frequent trains, but all involve two or more changes of train; certainly in Frankfurt and Mannheim. To Bad Wimphen you'll encounter train changes as well, and unfortunately fewer trains traveling at less frequency.

harzer Feb 1st, 2000 06:03 PM

There are several trains doing Wuerzburg <BR>to Heidelberg with only one stop e.g. the Regionalzug departing W. at 08.37 and arriving H. at 10.57. Bad Wimpfen is on this line, and on this train you get there at 10.17.

Dennis Holland Jul 22nd, 2000 08:31 PM

Heidelberg has become overun by tourists, students, etc. not very clean especially the main street Hauptstrasse and along the river. I have relatives there and each time I go back I get more disappointed, last visited in March. <BR>Hotels are very expensive. <BR>The castles in Wuerzburg are wonderful and I would recommend Nuremburg also.

Cara Jul 27th, 2000 08:45 AM

Rothenburg is very cool with its medieval walls and sentry walks--also check out the Criminal Museum for some bizarre items out of another time in history! Heidelberg is also beautiful. Try to see past the tourists. Nuremburg is cool too. Nice Altstadt. By the way, for info on trains and connections, go to www.bahn.de. Start by clicking on "Reise Servie" then choose "English." From here you can find out if and when there are connections between any and all cities in Europe. Sometimes even how much the trip will cost you! <BR>Have a great time!

kk Jul 27th, 2000 10:38 AM

To Skidmore, the original poster...do tell us which places you have finally selected for your upcoming fall trip. And why. Just curious/interested. kk