Red wedding dresses in Europe?

Feb 12th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Red wedding dresses in Europe?

A friend is getting married (to a Danish guy) and, although it is a first marriage and she is quite young, she is marrying in a bright red gown. She's quite avant guard, so I suppose this is the perfect choice for her.

Just wondering if it's true that red wedding gowns are all the rage in Europe as she says they are.
Feb 12th, 2007, 06:35 AM

I have two French friends who both wore red wedding dresses. One was a dark red, the other a much brighter pinky red.
When I was looking for wedding dresses in France and the UK a couple of years ago (was living in Lyon but getting married in Scotland) I noticed quite a few red dresses in French boutiques (or dresses with a red skirt or bodice), but less in the UK.
Feb 12th, 2007, 06:36 AM

Hi Crimbrone

I wouldnt go as far as to say Red wedding gowns are all the rage in Europe, I have seen a few bridesmaids wearing red gowns, but Ivory/White is still certainly the most popular colour in Europe, and I cant see that ever changing.
Feb 12th, 2007, 06:36 AM
lawchick

Certainly not.

Though Brides in some countries, for example Hungary, change out of their traditional white dress into a red dress for Dancing late at night.

This is also to symbolise her move into married life. (ahem)

Feb 12th, 2007, 06:45 AM

Nice one lawchick!
Feb 12th, 2007, 06:50 AM

Regarding "the move" (such a cute little phrase) is that why the groom wears black?
Feb 12th, 2007, 06:50 AM

Interesting question! Paula Yates married Bob Geldof in a red dress in 1986. She looked great then and I think the look has stood the test of time. What do you think:

http://tinyurl.com/yvnafo
Feb 12th, 2007, 06:52 AM

This is going to be one of those amusing threads that keeps everyone smiling
Feb 12th, 2007, 08:08 AM

Well my nearly daughter-in-law has chosen a burgundy and cream dress. She didn't want white/ivory (they have a son already) and I have to say to looks stunning on her. But all the rage? No, I think most brides still opt for the trad colours. The last few weddings I've been to, in Holland and UK the brides have worn white or ivory.
Feb 12th, 2007, 08:39 AM

A younger friend in the region of Veneto got married a few years ago in a pinkish rose colored wedding dress. It was beautiful on her. She had quite a formal wedding and reception. A few older women didn't approve of course. But with her coloring I personally think she made a beautiful choice.
Feb 12th, 2007, 08:47 AM

Forget Paula's gorgeous red dress. What do y'all think that guy is wearing under his kilt?
Feb 12th, 2007, 09:30 AM

My daughetr recently got engaged and we're currently venue and gown searching. Even here in NYC red is in fashion - and blue, too.
Feb 12th, 2007, 10:14 AM

I chose not to go traditional when I got married - I wore a blue dress. It was great.

I don't know about any trends in that direction, but I think brides and grooms should wear what they like for their weddings, and if anyone doesn't approve, then I guess they don't approve. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.
Feb 12th, 2007, 11:02 AM

Red used to be a traditional colour for weddings in many french areas (white was for nobility) - the red colour has made a come back in the last 4 or 5 years and is now #2 after beige/cream and before white (and many brides look so much better and less wishy washy in red than in white don't you think ?)
Feb 12th, 2007, 11:07 AM

There is a colour signification for both colours - at least in latine cultures, i don't know for others : white = virginity, red = love (we can hope that love is ALWAYS granted, the other one, hmm....)
Feb 12th, 2007, 12:26 PM

If she were my friend, I would check her into rehab until she came to her senses.

A red wedding dress? Is your friend Patricia Field.
Feb 12th, 2007, 01:03 PM
ira

Hey C,

Are you too young to remember "Better Red Than Dead"?

Le plus ça change.....

Feb 12th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Well, it sounds like she's telling the truth about it being, if not all the rage, then certainly a trend in Europe. Who knew?

I'm sure she'll look beautiful in red. She's thin and gorgeous with strawberry blonde hair and a pale complexion. I agree that white, aside from the obvious symbolism, isn't always the most flattering color on people.

More important, I spelled "avant garde" wrong in my initial post! I'm mortified, and am only glad I could correct myself before the board pedants (bored pedants?) went for my oh so gauche underbelly...
Feb 12th, 2007, 02:55 PM

endlesssummer, that photograph is stunning. How very dramatic and how very boring it makes the traditional white dresses seem.
Feb 12th, 2007, 03:34 PM
lawchick

It didn't end well for Paula.

Red dress is a no no imho.

Anyway, everyone should wear whatever they are most comfortable in (NOT!)

Search this Thread