Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Recommended newbie route from FCO airport into Rome (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/recommended-newbie-route-from-fco-airport-into-rome-610523/)

Stress Apr 25th, 2006 09:58 AM

Recommended newbie route from FCO airport into Rome

Hello:

I am taking my wife and four year old daughter to Italy to meet family. This is our first trip outside of the US, so I am a little nervous, as I am sure most people get their first time.

We are flying into Rome (FCO) and will arrive about 3:45 pm. What do you think would be the least stressful transporation to Hotel San Carlo near the Spanish Steps? My choices are taxi, express train + metro, or hotel shuttle service (50 Euro).

The hotel shuttle service sounds the easiest--a driver will hold a sign with our name on it, but what will the driver do if our plane is late, or we have to spend an extra hour or so looking into lost luggage?

Maybe the train/metro would be better to allow us more flex time.

Thanks.

missypie Apr 25th, 2006 10:45 AM

Rome Shuttle Limousine is taking our famiy of 5 into Rome in a private 8 passenger van for 50 euro. I think they would charge 35 for your family. The driver meets you, holding up a sign. They note your flight number, so I assume that they check on whether the flight is on time.

2Italy Apr 25th, 2006 11:30 AM

Check with RomeCabs. [email protected] Stephano will quote you about 34 Euros from FCO to your hotel. He is prompt, courteous, a true professional, and drives a Mercedes Minivan or sedan. He will monitor the flights coming in and meet you just outside of customs. He will also give you his cell phone number you can use once on the ground. We've used him several times and have been extremely pleased.
[email protected]

Stress Apr 28th, 2006 08:49 AM

I guess I could ask the companies directly, but does anyone know from experience if any of the limo services will provide a booster seat for child to ride in the car?

kansas59 Apr 28th, 2006 08:52 AM

Stress - I have used the service thru Hotel San Carlo in the past and would recommend them (always there and very pleasant to deal with). I'm sure that they can also make the request for you to have a booster seat as well.

LOJO Apr 28th, 2006 02:04 PM

We were in Rome for the first time last week, and took the express train to the Termini station. (Two adults with only a carry on bag each.) It was fine for us, but would not be the most convenient way, if you have a small child with you. There's a bit of walking involved, and waiting for the next train, unless you hit it just right. I vote for the hotel shuttle. It would be the most convenient, and from what I understand would only be about 10 euros more than the taxi.

socaltraveler Apr 28th, 2006 04:20 PM

Take the hotel shuttle. The hotel will ask for your flight info; they will check to see if your flight is on time. They will allow for time to clear immigration and pick up luggage. They do this a lot. They will give you their phone number so that you can call them if there is a problem, and if you have a cell phone with you, they will ask for that number and can call you. You will arrive at your hotel relaxed and happy to start your vacation. Take the shuttle.

Stress Apr 28th, 2006 06:07 PM

Thank you all for your tips. Normally, I would be up for the train/metro, but like you say, I think this is a good time to splurge a little more for the convenience of the shuttle, especially with two 25-inch luggage cases and our four-year old.

socaltraveler Apr 29th, 2006 08:28 AM

Keep in mind that if you take the train, it takes you to the station and you still have to get a cab to the hotel (esp. with 2 large suitcases and a 4 yr. old.) It's a fair walk to the cab line and then there's a wait in the cab line.
Take the shuttle.

MaureenB Apr 29th, 2006 08:38 AM

Definitely take the shuttle. Money well spent. You and your four-year-old will be exhausted and whiny-- don't subject yourselves to more travel travails with the train!
If you're visiting family, you probably will be saving on lodging and some meals, anyway, non? So splurge on the convenience in my opinion, without a doubt.

Mimar Apr 29th, 2006 08:50 AM

And maybe reconsider those 25-inch suitcases. That's a lot to handle with a four-year-old too. I'm sure you're probably bringing presents for the family, but even so.... 22-inchers would be better.