Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   recommended 14-day itinerary for Spain and Italy (and possibly France) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/recommended-14-day-itinerary-for-spain-and-italy-and-possibly-france-942058/)

peter0ck Jul 8th, 2012 07:05 PM

recommended 14-day itinerary for Spain and Italy (and possibly France)

My wife and I are planning a last-minute honeymoon in September and would like to go to Spain and Italy within approx. 14 days. Anyone wanna recommend some itineraries? We've come across many of them, but it's so hard to pick and choose which cities are best!

We are thinking of visiting the following...
Madrid
Barcelona
Marseille (France will be an option since it will be on the way?)
Milan
Florence
Rome

Might sound rushed but we wanna see lots of places and we like to move around a lot. Any suggestions?

Jean Jul 8th, 2012 07:13 PM

IMO, that's too many places that are too far apart to see in 14 days.

Aduchamp1 Jul 8th, 2012 07:17 PM

Well if you like to move around a lot, then it is an excellent itinerary. If you want to see anything along the way than it isn't.

janisj Jul 8th, 2012 07:25 PM

Sorry --but that is not a nice itinerary IMO, and especially not nice for a honeymoon.

Consider 14 days minus 2 days for travel to/from Europe, minus most of one day recovering from jetlag, and minus another 3 to 5 days for the rest of your travel . . . and you essentially have .5 to 1.5 days free in each city.

You won't see much except trains/train stations/planes/airports/hotel front desks . . .

Rastaguytoday Jul 8th, 2012 08:00 PM

I just get tired looking at the itinerary.

Let's start with where you are flying in to and where you are flying out of.

That would probably help us all.

jarand Jul 8th, 2012 08:27 PM

Have you considered a cruise? There are some wonderful Mediterranean itineraries that will take you to these places and more. You might take a look at the Carnival Breeze in September. 12 nights, lots of ports, sleep while you travel, and you only unpack once!

greg Jul 8th, 2012 08:36 PM

Marseille is only on the way for ground based trip. Barcelona to anywhere Italy by ground is a very time consuming endeavor. Since Barcelona is a Vueling Airline's hub, why no fly straight into Italy? Several flights a day to Milan, Venice, and Rome and one flight a day to Florence.

Barcelona to Marseille by train is about 8hrs. Marseille to Milan is another 8hrs.

TonyBishop Jul 9th, 2012 04:56 AM

"We are thinking of visiting the following...
Madrid
Barcelona
Marseille (France will be an option since it will be on the way?)
Milan
Florence
Rome"
That is a nice list of destinations but, as you can see from the above posts, a list is not the same as a practical itinerary.

I think you need to ask yourself what you intend to do in each city.

bobthenavigator Jul 9th, 2012 06:09 AM

Pick a max of 4 destination and fly from Barcelona to Italy.

mamcalice Jul 9th, 2012 06:15 AM

How about Madrid, Barcelona, fly to Florence, Rome. It would still be a lot to accomplish in your time frame but would be more efficient and require less moving around. It doesn't strike me as very honeymoon-like.

BigRuss Jul 9th, 2012 06:45 AM

First: identify what you really want to see. If you don't care about art museums, skip Madrid. Then you can go with Barcelona, Florence and Rome and make a decent itinerary.

It's daft to go overground from Barcelona to Italy. Take a flight.

rtwin80days Jul 10th, 2012 02:05 AM

Each person's travel style is different.

Having said that, you said it is your honeymoon.

How about taking out more time for each other, and then some, for the sights and experiences around? How about picking one country out of the 3 you mentioned and exploring it at your own pace? Each of the 3 easily deserve full 12 days you have.

I am going to Spain for 16 days and I still feel I am rushing it :(