Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Recommendations on where to stay and travel options in Italy.

Jul 17th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

I am traveling to Paris and Italy for 3 weeks in September. I will be in Paris to film a documentary for 5 days and then plan on going to Italy. As a single woman, traveling by myself, I don't wish to drive in Italy. I thought I would fly, via easyjet, from CDG to Rome, stay in Rome for 6 days, take a train to Venice for 3 days, then take a train to Florence for 5 days and back to Rome.

I would love some suggestions regarding the above itinerary as well as places to stay in these cities. I'm doing this last minute and on a budget. One concern I have is the flight back from Rome to Paris. There is a Easyjet flight which arrives in CDG at 10:50am and my flight back to the states leaves at 13:30. I'm wondering if this is cutting it a bit close and perhaps should book a flight the night before and find a hotel in Paris?
Jul 17th, 2009, 03:48 PM

Why not fly into Rome and home from Venice--or reverse?
Search above for " Rome hotels"and the other cities for dozens of replies on that topic, including some lists by me.
Jul 17th, 2009, 05:06 PM

Agree you should do an open jaws flight (unless you've bought tickets that can't be changed). Fly from wherever to Paris and then from Rome back home. Avoids wasting a day (and air fare) backtracking - and costs no more than a RT fare.
Jul 17th, 2009, 05:22 PM

You may be cutting it close given weather, strikes, general delays in air travel with just a couple of hours in paris. If you can fly venice to paris, I'd do that the night before, stay near the airport and not have the stress of making the connection. You can get on the raileurope.com website and check out the train schedules/duration/cost for rome to florence and then florence to venice. We did Florence to Venice and it was easy. Rail travel is generally safe - just keep an eye on your stuff. Try to avoid backtracking as that just burns valuable vacation time but that's just my opinion. Be aware that September is the venice film festival so hotel rooms could be hard to find depending on your dates. For hotels, try venere.com which allows you to select price ranges for the cities; I've used them with great success but I am a careful traveller; I print out the confirmations, call or email the hotel a week or two ahead to make sure everything is set, etc. If you can't do Venice for some reason, you might want to consider Rome, Florence, Sienna, Milan and then back to paris.
Jul 18th, 2009, 02:41 AM
ira

Hi Ay,

>I thought I would fly, via easyjet, from CDG to Rome, stay in Rome for 6 days, take a train to Venice for 3 days, then take a train to Florence for 5 days and back to Rome.<

You can fly www.myair.com from Paris ORY to Venice VCE and save yourself a train trip.

Enjoy your visit.

Jul 18th, 2009, 02:44 AM
ira

PS,

>There is a Easyjet flight which arrives in CDG at 10:50am and my flight back to the states leaves at 13:30.<

If all goes well, and you are very lucky, you might make it. I suggest staying in Paris the night before.

Why not fly home from Rome? Cost won't be very different.

In Florence, I can highly recommend www.bedinflorence.it Good and inexpensive. Has AC.