Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Recommendations on these 3 hotels in Tuscany (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/recommendations-on-these-3-hotels-in-tuscany-561106/)

Mishka Sep 27th, 2005 07:19 AM

Recommendations on these 3 hotels in Tuscany

We are on our final planning stages of our trip which we are taking Nov. 1 to 12. We are spending 4 days in Tuscany -- please comment on these hotels
Palazzo Del Capitano, LaSaracine or Locanda Di Montisi.

dorkforcemom Sep 27th, 2005 07:42 AM

We stayed 4 days at La Saracina last May and will be returning there this May. We loved it! It's ideally located between Pienza and Montapulciano with easy drives to Montalcino & others. I liked being out of the towns but close enough to buzz in for dinner & touring. I can't speak highly enough of the accommodations as well as the service. Each morning at breakfast, they would discuss dinner options and make reservations for us based on what type of food, budget, etc. we were in the mood for that day. We saw Palazzo Del Capitano in town but didn't see the inside. I'm sorry I can't speak to the other two. Happy travels!

StuDudley Sep 27th, 2005 08:35 AM

We've stayed at la Saracina for 4 days on each of two occasions. I've also recommended it to many friends who have stayed there. It's one of my two favorite hotels in Europe - small (only about 5 rooms), and out in the countryside with a very nice pool, views down into the Val d'Orcia, tennis court, wonderful breakfast room. Our room had a large sitting and a jaccuzi/bath you could do laps in, plus a shower so large that it doesn't need a curtain & has multiple shower heads. The Malvinsa room is the best. La Saracina is located half-way between Pienza & Montepulciano.

I've visited the grounds & several rooms at the Capitano (our friends (who live in San Quirico know the owners). It is within the walls of the medieval village so you can walk to dinner, sit at the Bar Centrale to people watch, and observe village life up close. The grounds are quite nice with chase lounges in a lawn area somewhat above the the street level. The rooms were very nice.

Countryside vs. within the village is the choice here.

Stu Dudley

dorkforcemom Sep 27th, 2005 08:46 AM

StuDudley - is the room you're describing at La Saracina the Malvinsa? If so, it sounds wonderful and perhaps I can talk my DH into "upgrading". We stayed in the most inexpensive room when we were there which was located next to the apartment. I didn't have an opportunity to see the other rooms. I believe we stayed there based on your recommendation and am looking forward to returning. Like you, it's one of my European favorites. Is there a place in Provence with the same ambience & quality that you would also recommend? Thanks!

StuDudley Sep 27th, 2005 09:20 AM

The correct spelling is Malvasia. Trebbanio (sp), is also quite nice (we stayed there once)

The room rates and the exchange rate were much more favorible when we stayed at La Saracina, so it's now out of our price range. We spend 2-3 months in Europe most years, so we can't afford too many of these splurges. My second favorite hotel in Europe is in the Loire - a chateau that I think is now private and no longer functioning as a small hotel. Have not found anyplace similar in Provence (we stay in Gites there).

Stu Dudley

Mishka Sep 27th, 2005 01:48 PM

Awesome - thanks everyone. Stu - it does sound wonderful, thanks.
What about the other question....should we drive to Venice (where we depart from) or take the train from Siena or somewhere else?

StuDudley Sep 27th, 2005 04:06 PM

Take the train from Siena or Chiusi

Stu Dudley

Mishka Oct 2nd, 2005 01:06 PM

Stu -- you suggest that we take the train from Siena to Venice. What about from Florence? I am thinking of trying to squeeze a day in Florence from our Tuscany trip? Comments

bobthenavigator Oct 2nd, 2005 02:10 PM

The Siena train connects thru Florence---your call !