Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Recommendations of istanbul hotel with charm for single woman? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/recommendations-of-istanbul-hotel-with-charm-for-single-woman-423112/)

ateabag Sep 1st, 2008 12:54 PM

Recommendations of istanbul hotel with charm for single woman?

Hi, it has been a long time since I have been on the europe forum. But can anyone advise me? Also, what is the best way to get from the airport? Are the taxis safe? Or is it best to have hotel send a driver? Thx in advance!

ateabag Sep 4th, 2008 03:26 AM

ttt

I did check with Empress Zoe but were told that they will not book a single on a weekend. Any suggestions, please?

afterall Sep 4th, 2008 04:02 AM

I honestly can't remember how I got from the airport to the city last time I was there so it can't have been any big deal.

For sure I didn't have the "hotel" send a car. I think I took a bus.

I stayed at the Side Pension.

http://www.sidehotel.com/english/index.asp

This is a really good place - central and cheap with a roof terrace and excellent rooms.

But you are looking at the Empress Zoe so it's way below your budget, and therefore beneath you.

Fine by me.

Weadles Sep 4th, 2008 09:18 AM

Did you try Sari Konak or Yesil Ev?

Taxis are probably fine, but if it were my first time to Istanbul, I'd probably err on the side of caution, and have the hotel send a driver for the airport pickup.

galaxygrrl200 Sep 4th, 2008 11:13 PM

I liked the Seven Hills hotel and I stayed there as a single woman.

The cab from the airport was around $25 and it was fine. But I did get ripped off later in the trip by a cab driver, so be careful around them.

I loved Istanbul...have fun

Weadles Sep 5th, 2008 06:52 AM

I stayed at The Seven Hills hotel in July 2007. The hotel staff, the views from the rooftop restaurant, and location were fabulous. Only a slight word of caution here: While we stayed there, our floor (just below the restaurant) was filled with a horrible mold-type smell coming from the upstairs restaurant bathroom. Many people were sent to repair it, and it was particularly pungent in our rooms, but they were never able to resolve the problem while we were there. I understand that it's already a year ago, but I just wanted to mention it in case it's an ongoing problem.

pjsparlor536 Sep 5th, 2008 07:10 AM

We loved Hotel Niles, we had a private driver from the hotel pick us up, it cost 20 euro. You can't go wrong with Hotel Niles, we just got back August 24, 2008.

Weekender Sep 5th, 2008 07:17 AM

Did you check to see if a double room is available at the Empress Zoe? There may be little difference in cost. It is a great place to stay and they will make arrangements for airport pickup-we paid €25 for this service last year.

Proenza_Preschooler Sep 5th, 2008 10:26 AM

I would stay at the Ritz-Carlton (We stayed there in July 2005). The marble shower is so big you can have an orgy in there.

Sleep on Frette sheets.

It is also fascinating to watch the high-priced hookers with big fat Russian mobsters at the pool.

There is a phone next to the toilet so you can take a dumb while ordering room service.

There are great views from the Bosphorus and you can walk to the Dolmahbace Palace.

Take a cab to the hotel. Cabs are cheap in Istanbul.

Thin

Weadles Sep 5th, 2008 01:05 PM

Thanks John for giving me a hearty laugh after a horrible work day!

Seamus Sep 5th, 2008 06:08 PM

If you would like to stay in the Sultanahmet area, Hotel Ambassador would work. I was unable to get reservation there for my dates but did sop by to check it out since several folks had recommended it. Good location for walking around the area, and the manager is a delightful German (I think) woman. Though I was not a guest they helped me with sending a fax anyway. It is not high end in terms of furnishings (no Frette sheets, sorry) but is more than adequate.

Seamus Sep 5th, 2008 06:11 PM

If you would like to stay in the Sultanahmet area, Hotel Ambassador would work. I was unable to get reservation there for my dates but did sop by to check it out since several folks had recommended it. Good location for walking around the area, and the manager is a delightful German (I think) woman. Though I was not a guest they helped me with sending a fax anyway. It is not high end in terms of furnishings (no Frette sheets, sorry) but is more than adequate.

Many hotels advertise free transport from the airport with a minimum stay. Others will arrange a driver to pick you up (return as well) at a reasonable cost if you ask.