Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for Weekend Destinations in Switzerland/Western Germany

Jun 2nd, 2002, 06:47 PM
Jennifer

Hello Everyone,

I am a college student and will be attending a study-abroad program in Paris during the month of July. I am trying to plan a few weekend trips to (relatively) nearby destinations, figuring that this is probably a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see as much of Europe as I can.

I have three weekends to work with, and I thought that the best course of action would be to spend one weekend in Germany, one weekend in Switzerland, and one weekend in Amsterdam/Brussels. I will be travelling b

Jun 3rd, 2002, 04:24 AM
jw

Hi Jennifer. I'm probably much too old to give you travel advice, but here it is anyway. For your first visit to Europe (but we hope not your last), I'd head for Munich for your German weekend. There's probably a good Friday night train. If you want to get out of the city, you can go north to Dinkelsbuhl or Rothenburg or south to Berchtesgaden in the mountains. Or you could even train to Salzburg for a daytrip to Austria. Or just stay put and really absorb the wonderful city of Munich.

For Switzerland, everyone at this board will probably say head for the Berner Oberland with its glorious alps. If you can combine that with a visit to Lucerne and its lake, you'll have a dandy Swiss weekend.

For your part three, I've got to let my age show and vote that you skip Amsterdam and Brussels and go to the beautiful 'venice of the north', Brugge. That small city in Belgium is magnificent and very different from all your other locations.
J.

Jun 3rd, 2002, 04:43 PM
Jennifer

Thanks, JW, for your help!

I am definitely going to take your advice on Munich. And I'd never thought to go to either Bernese Oberland or Brugge, but I will be looking into it now!

Many thanks again,
Jennifer

Jun 3rd, 2002, 04:51 PM
cd

Hi Jennifer
JW gave excellent advice. We loved Rothenburg and Brugge!

Jun 3rd, 2002, 06:27 PM
Shannon

I agree, Munich is a great weekend city from Paris. Amsterdam as well. For Switzerland, at the time of year you'll be there, I would head straight to Montreux for the music festival: Jazz, rock, blues, you name it, people hanging out in the parks, playing music, eating street food. You'll love it.

Jun 3rd, 2002, 06:53 PM
Joe

Jennifer,

Keep your options open. You may have fellow students who want to visit other areas of France and you may want to do this with them. Your school may also offer inexpensive trips on the weekends. This may be your opportunity to become more familiar with France rather than getting a brief glimpse of several other areas.