Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for tours of the Roman Forum.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 05:54 PM
Christine

Hello, <BR>My husband and I are returning to Rome in November and I am looking for recommendations for either good, affordable private tours of the Forum or good small group tours that aren't cheesy. Any ideas? <BR>Thanks, <BR>Christine

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 03:25 AM
pat

Check out www.walksofeurope.com. They do a great job.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 05:22 AM
elaine

Scala Reale has been highly recommended on this forum many times, and they employ art and history experts. <BR>One of their walking tours is called <BR>"Antica Roma" which covers the Forum and then some--it is four hours, I believe. <BR>I will be using them for the first time in a few weeks.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 06:04 AM
elvira

Marianna apparently just discovered this forum, as she's posted her advertisement on virtually every post about Rome. I'd be concerned about someone who missed the little detail about not advertising on this forum.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 06:21 AM
Betsy

Elvira <BR> <BR>I'm about one message behind you! Every Italy message I've opened in the past five minutes has contained an advertisement by Marianna. I advised her of the policy in two messages, which are now at the top <BR>

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 06:27 AM
Betsy

Just did a quick count. Marianna has at least 12 messages advertising her business in the top 50 messages on the board. Marianna, please read about our no-advertising policy before you post another one.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 07:12 AM
claire

I used ScalaReale tours in Rome in August and highly recommend them. We never had more than 6 people, and the guides were knowledgeable and enthusiastic about their subjects and about Rome. They also can be helpful with other information - restaurants, cultural events, tickets, etc.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 02:19 PM
Walter

Christine, Scala Reale is probably the best but the 4hr tour also combines the Colosseum and Palatine with the Forum. Perhaps you are like me, I would love a 4hr or more tour of *just* the Forum, with the guide being an excellent storyteller. The Forum was the "Heart of Rome" with a thousand years of ancient Roman history, it's hard to get the complete history of that area in any short tour. A couple of historical guidebooks that will help you "on your own" find all the little tidbits in the Forum and other sites is the "Blue Guide Rome" and the "Oxford Archaeological Guide-Rome". HTH Regards, Walter <BR>