Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Recommendations for Orvieto and Siena (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/recommendations-for-orvieto-and-siena-157134/)

Barb Aug 7th, 2001 10:41 AM

Recommendations for Orvieto and Siena

I need recommendations for hotels in Orvieto and Siena. I will be there 2nd week in Oct. I would like something close to the center of town and not over $100 a night. Email or web addresses would be great. Has anyone stayed at the Piccolo Palio or the Hotel Centrale in Siena? Or the Hotel Corso or Hotel Posta in Orvieto.

shay Aug 7th, 2001 11:39 AM

I wouldn't bother with reservations - especially that time of year. I have been to both cities and found a room with no problem, usually on the first try - even during the height of the tourist season. Happy travels. Ciao.

Betsy Aug 7th, 2001 03:40 PM

Barb <BR> <BR>We are booked at the Virgilio in Orvieto in October. I have stayed there before and liked it enough to return. Not lots of atmosphere, but if you ask for a room overlooking the Duomo, the view is stunning. We were quoted 165.000L/night including breakfast, for a double. There is a tiny lift. <BR> <BR>Buon viaggio

Barb Aug 8th, 2001 11:02 AM

Thanks for that info. I noticed the Virgilio in Rick's Steves' book. He didn't have glowing things to say, but it was in his book, so it must be ok. It says in the book they require a deposit for the first night. Is this true? An earlier posting from Shay said not to worry about making reservations - what are your thoughts on this. Thanks

Betsy Aug 8th, 2001 12:44 PM

Barb <BR> <BR>We prefer to make reservations for pivotal points of our itinerary so we won't have surprises. <BR> <BR>The Virgilio didn't require a deposit. I secured the reservation with a credit card. You can cancel the reservation by 6:00 pm the night prior to your arrival without penalty. Just be sure to request a room overlooking the cathedral.

Barb Aug 8th, 2001 02:26 PM

Betsy: <BR> <BR>Do you remember what the price of your room was? Would you recommend this hotel?

Betsy Aug 8th, 2001 03:20 PM

I don't remember the price when we were there in '99, but the price quoted us for our October '01 visit is 165.000L/night with breakfast for a double room. <BR> <BR>Yes, since we are staying there a second time, I would recommend it. The hotel itself is not particularly atmospheric, but it is fine in every other respect. The attraction, for me, was being able to hang out the window that overlooked the piazza and the duomo. The piazza was quite active far into the night, so you may want to consider taking along some earplugs. Also loved the nearby gelateria--even sneaked down there in my PJ's (looked like shorts and a T-shirt) just before it closed.

wendy Aug 8th, 2001 06:10 PM

Don't miss these restaurants in Orvieto! <BR> <BR>La Volpe e L'Uva (dinner) <BR>Via Ripa Corsica <BR> <BR>Trattoria La Pergola (lunch) <BR>Via dei Magoni