Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Recommendations for must do Scandinavian itinerary.... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/recommendations-for-must-do-scandinavian-itinerary-1016296/)

Supermum Jun 5th, 2014 01:37 PM

Recommendations for must do Scandinavian itinerary....

Hi travel mates...would love to organize an itinerary for 4 weeks to the Scandinavian areas including St Petersberg and Stockholm, preferably some smaller spots as well, please recommend best forms of transport and top accomodation spots...many thanks :)

PalenQ Jun 5th, 2014 01:48 PM

Trains and boats and public transit in Scandinavia and Finland are great - even nice trains from Helsinki to St Petersberg - be sure to take the overnight ferry between Finland and Stockholm - one of the most gorgeous rides in the world as it skirts a rocky archipelago much of the way - and in summer you can see the scenery till late.

Also a highlight is the Bergen Railway from Oslo to Bergen, ubiquitously listed as amongst the very top scenic rail lines in Europe and then from Bergen the fantastic Norway in a Nutshell excursion involving a boat ride on Norway's longest and perhaps most gorgeous fjords. You do it on your own but buy an all-inclusive ticket for trains, mountain bus and boat at Bergen or other train station.

for lots of great info on Scandinavian trains, boats, itineraries check out these IMO superb sites - www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.seat61.com. The ScanRailPass is a bargain if taking more than a few train and or boat rides - check it out - it also gives discounts on some chain hotels in these REALLY expensive countries.

Copenhagen and Stockholm are musts - neat cities with lots of things to see and do - especially Copenhagen which offers a cornucopia of tasty day trips within an hour or so by train from town.

http://www.norwaynutshell.com/en/exp...FQcSMwodelwAGA

Supermum Jun 5th, 2014 02:05 PM

Mate, you are a legend!! Thank you for your great tips!! Will follow up on your suggestions, particularly those great transport options. Thanks again.

BigRuss Jun 5th, 2014 02:38 PM

What's the nightly lodging budget and the daily food and necessaries budget? You're looking at four weeks in one of the most expensive areas of the world - a hamburger dinner at the Swedish TGIFriday's will cost $25 US and that's without drinks.

If you're really adventurous, seek out the lutefisk.

PalenQ Jun 6th, 2014 08:08 AM

4 weeks is a long time for Scandinavia IME - but here's a possible scenario:

Fly into Helsinki -

St Petersaburg

Helsinki - Tallin, Estona just a few hours away by ferry - for a day or longer

Boat Helsinki to Stockholm

Stockholm

Train to Oslo, day or some night trains I believe

Oslo

Train to Bergen

Bergen, Norway in a Nutshell

Boat from Bergen to Stavenger

Stavenger to Oslo to Gothenbrug - wonderful old Swedish city

Train to Copenhagen

Several neat day trips there - Roskilde for Viking Ships; Helsingor for Hamlet's Castle; Fredericksbourg for the wonderful castle on an island, etc.

Train to Hamburg

Train to Berlin - fly home from there.

annesherrod Jun 9th, 2014 05:34 PM

I am so glad I checked the forum and saw this today. We are planning a trip there Fall 2015.

Great info!! I really need to do a lot of research but will be checking back for Fodorite tips.

GreenDragon Aug 18th, 2014 06:54 AM

Also checking for my May 2015 trip :D

PalenQ Aug 19th, 2014 05:08 AM

Fall is not the optimum time IME for places like Norway and the fjords - often cool and wet - days getting perilously short - May however is the perfect time as the land comes alive and days are very very long.

Ruby99 Aug 19th, 2014 07:34 AM

We were in Copenhagen end of September and the days were about 15 degrees C (59F) and from there it went much colder as we moved to Helsinki, Tallinn and finished off on October 10th in Stockholm. It was right around freezing and even below freezing on a couple nights in Stockholm, so you might want to pack accordingly. I hate extreme heat and I'm from Canada, so this didn't inconvenience me too much... just had to buy a pair of mittens in a market in Tallinn :)

As I posted in another thread, if you want to save some time, consider flying with SAS... I paid only US$65 from Copenhagen to Helsinki, and the whole thing was really smooth...

Hope you do listen to the advice here and book an overnight ferry (we did Tallinn-Stockholm). I was honestly dreading it before boarding, but it turned out to be the best night of my 15 day trip... We still laugh when we talk about it :)

PalenQ Aug 19th, 2014 01:42 PM

the overnight ferry Stockholm to Helsinki is also a sweet ride - very scenic as it skirts a rocky archapelgo much of the way - same as boat to Tallin does I would think. these boats have all the amenities needed to have a good time.

nytraveler Aug 19th, 2014 05:19 PM

It can be lovely there in Sept or it can be really cold.

In Stockholm we had a high of about 70 and beautiful blue skies - but about 60 at night.

But the day after we got to St Pet the temps dropped into the 40s (high) and I was wearing 3 layers everyday. The locals seemed to think nothing of it - but did bring out what looked like their winter coats - and in the hotel the told us not to expect it to warm up until spring.

nytraveler Aug 19th, 2014 05:22 PM

Not sure what you mean by "top accommodation". Does this mean the most upscale? If so better bring a lot of $.

If that's what you mean - you need to define "top".

PalenQ Aug 20th, 2014 05:58 AM

a ScanRailpass, valid in the three Scandinavian countries plus Finland also gives 20% or so discount on many chain hotels.