Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for Louis Vuitton purchases in Paris

Mar 28th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

My sister and I will be in Paris for a week the end of April and she told me that she would love to purchase a Louis Vuitton purse. I've done a search for threads on LV, but the most recent I have found is 2009.

Does anyone have any recommendations for shops which sell LV? I know we can find them at Gallerie Lafayette, but it never hurts to ask if there is an alternative.
Mar 28th, 2011, 09:21 AM

The only one in Paris that I have bought from is the LV Boutique located on Champs Elysees. Some people have said they encountered unfriendly salespersons there, but I had a very nice person. It is sometimes crowded and you may have a little wait.
Mar 28th, 2011, 09:26 AM

This question strikes me as a little strange. Surely you know that LV is headquartered in Paris, so you might want to start with the flagship store on Champs Elysees. My problem with that store has always been lines and bad service since the salespeople have historically focused the lion's share of their attention on visiting Japanese tourists, who line up to buy whatever is available). With the lack of Japanese tourists, the experience may be better at this store. There are several other stand-alone stores that might be better. LV has a web site that lists them all.

But in truth, you might find slightly better prices in NYC and a happier shopping experience. It really depends on the dollar-euro exchange rate, which isn't bad right now but still not great. If you get the tax refund, just be sure that you have not spent over the limit for Customs in the U.S.
Mar 28th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

I'm not sure why my question would be strange. I do realize that LV is headquartered in Paris and of course, there are numerous places to purchase, including the store on the Champs Elysees.

Is anyone familiar with any boutiques, perhaps off the beaten path, where LV purses/accessories are sold? Does anyone have a favorite shop they visit frequently?

Thank you.
Mar 29th, 2011, 08:12 AM

As far as I know, LV sells their products only in their own stores or in their licensed boutiques inside other stores. There may be a licensed boutique in Printemps, but you're not going to find genuine LV merchandise in individual boutiques. I'm pretty sure they don't allow that.
Mar 29th, 2011, 09:26 AM
BKP

I think your sister will be happiest going to a proper LV store. The selection will be better and I think the service is better. My preference is the LV store just off Blvd. Saint Germain and Rue Bonaparte. It doesn't get a constant stream of tourists (and non buyers) like the Champs store. You won't have to shove your way past window shoppers to get the attention of the sales staff.

It's near Cafe de Flores, Les Deux Magots and Laduree if those are also on your tourist radar.

One more option is the Bon Marche in the 6th. There is an LV boutique within the store. If either one of you is a foodie, the Grand Epicurie Bon Marche is definitely worth a stop.

I understand buying LV (or Dior or Chanel etc) in Paris. Sometimes the mark up or a poor exchange rate is worth it to have such a beautiful reminder of your trip.
Mar 29th, 2011, 11:14 AM

My sister is a huge LV aficionado and has bought from the flagship store twice. The last time the salesperson "remembered" her (after looking her up online when they took her info to pay for the item) and asked how she was enjoying what she bought last time. I also bought there and thought the service was exceptional...coffee and snack or water while we waited, etc.
Mar 29th, 2011, 11:37 AM

water???? no bubbly? even a cheap bottle?
Apr 1st, 2011, 05:25 AM

>>water???? no bubbly? even a cheap bottle?<<

I was only buying a scarf. Maybe if I bought a bag, I'd have been offered bubbly!
Apr 1st, 2011, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

This is good information. We are staying in the Saint Germain area so a store in this area will be convenient.

It's always an experience to go into a designer store, though. My friend and I went into a Prada store in Rome and the salespeople looked at us and followed us around like we were going to foul the merchandise. Of course, we touched nothing and even quietly debated the merits of this purse over another, so we were in there for several minutes.

We had a fabulous time just looking and we've shared many laughs over it since - once you've been snubbed by the best, no one will ever be able to do it better.

Thanks agaiin for your suggestions. I've been in the Bon Marche store before, but did not see the LV boutique, nor the food hall. My sister and I are mild foodies and we love this kind of thing. Thank you.