Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for great local tour guides in Prague?

Old Feb 6th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be visiting Prague this July for about 3 days.

Does anyone have any recommendations for great local tour operators? We are flexible with private or group tours. We are also flexible with it either being a day long event or just a few hours. Our only requirement is that they are great!

Alternatively does anyone have any feedback on the following tours that I have gleamed from some Prague forums:

1) http://www.private-prague-guide.com/.

2) Roman Bily -tour guide for the Jewish quarter.

3) http://www.guidingprague.com/tour-me...tage-Car-tours

We would be grateful for any suggestions. Many thanks, Alma
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 04:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Alma; Same resource. www.inyourpocket.com ENJOY Iris
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 08:50 AM

Hello Alma:

We visited Prague over New Year's and used George Unger (Tel: +420602366198) for all of our car service needs including a three hour driving tour of the Prague highlights. George is mentioned frequently and favorably on this board--excellent English and a thoroughly nice person. Our experience was terrific. Good idea to book in advance; he's busy.

Gradyghost
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 01:10 AM

Alma, yes, I highly recommend "Personal Prague Guide", which is run by Sarka Kacabova (Pelantova). She will match you up with a great guide who suits you, and they are very flexible as far as hours and days. You will get a fascinating private tour. Wait, I sound like a commercial!

We were delighted with Jana Kratka, our "Personal Prague Guide". She was young, educated, and intelligent, and it was fascinating listening to her perspective while we saw beautiful Prague for the first time. She met us in the lobby of our guesthouse, which was very convenient!

The web-site is www.prague-guide.info . Not sure if that's exactly the same as the web-site you have listed in your post, as yours has a .com at the end.

If we return to Prague again, I will definitely book another walking tour through Sarka's "Personal Prague Guide".

I should be posting my trip report soon on London, Prague, and Krakow. Good luck with your planning!
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 12:45 PM

There are also free tours several times per day! We only realized this on the last day of our trip so I can't personally vouch for the quality, but though I'd pass along the info anyways. The Ghost and Beer tour looks especially fun.

http://www.freepraguetours.eu/

Old Feb 8th, 2009, 01:29 PM

On my first trip to Prague we used the services of Dana Chaloupka as a tour guide. She is extremely nice, helpful and knowledgeable, and speaks excellent English. She has a website http://sweb.cz/travelcz

On my second trip we had two guided tours provided by General Tours, and our knowledgeable and English-fluent guide, Jana Lukesova, freelances as well. Her email address is [email protected] She took my friend on a 3-hour general orientation tour of Prague’s highlights (I skipped that one, but my TC said it was excellent) and the following day we went with her on what turned out to be a private tour of Mala Strana.

Sarka Pelantova, mentioned above, is also suggested by Rick Steves.
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much. I truely appreciate your suggestions and quick responses!
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 03:43 AM

Hi Alma, I was in Prague on December and I was really satisfied with Best Tour agency, they really cared about everything, before I came there I sent them an e-mail with my plans and they made me a complete programme with everything, and what´s important, everything has worked very well..I know them from my friends, they were very satisfied too...So that´s my experience.
I wish I could turn there
Old Feb 19th, 2009, 09:58 AM

Mirek, you naughty boy! You were busted on Trip Advisor for touting and now you are over here! Shame shame!
Old Feb 21st, 2009, 09:05 AM

Has anybody tried the free tours in Prague that Orangetravel mentioned? I visited their website and they also have free tours in Budapest. Sounds like a good deal if the tours are good...