Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for great economical lodgings of any kind in SE Wales?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2011, 03:24 PM
plr
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to avoid Cardiff, and on limited time will be visiting Tintern Abbey, and Caerphilly, Chepstow, Raglan & Goodrich Castles. What town would be convenient to all these sites? I tend to prefer guesthouses or small hotels rather than B&B's, but am looking for great recommendations on accommodations for under 60GBP per night, if possible.
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 02:51 PM
plr
Original Poster

Still hoping for replies, so sending this to the top.
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 03:36 PM
ron

If you have a car, it doesn't much matter where you stay within the circle of those 5 sights. Usk, maybe? If I had a car, I'd probably look for a farm B&B in the Monmouthshire area.

If you are trying to do this by public transport, probably Newport for a base. Not really a tourist hot spot, although it holds a lot of interest for those interested in Roman Britain. But you'll have train connections to Cardiff for Caerphilly and to Chepstow, and buses for the others.

You've asked about £60 accommodation on other threads that you have started. It would be helpful to know how many people you are. If you are a single, there should be no problem finding a fairly nice B&B/guest house under that price. If you are two people, you're about 5 years too late to get excellence at that price.
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 03:42 PM
plr
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply, Ron. I'll be traveling solo and by car. Would love to have recommendations on both a convenient location to those sites, as well as specific lodgings folks have enjoyed. Am trying to avoid driving in the larger cities.
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 04:07 PM
ron

Probably not a lot of people have stayed in that area, so you may not get too many specific recommendations. I've visited the area a few times but have stayed in places like Brecon, Cardiff, Bristol and Hereford, all outside the circle.

In the absence of specific recommendations, check out this farm B&B website, http://www.farmstay.co.uk/

Just put "Monmouthshire" in the search box.

Good luck.
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 04:11 PM
plr
Original Poster

I'm stunned. I'd have thought that these sites would be heavily visited, and sort of a standard trip.
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 04:26 PM
ron

They are visited, but I think it would be fairly rare that people would base themselves in the area and visit a large number of sights at one time. I visited Chepstow (and would have gone on to Tintern if I hadn't run out of time) from Bristol, I visited Raglan (along with Abergavenny and one other castle whose name I can't remember) from an inn near Wotton-under-Edge, I walked passed Goodrich while staying in Hereford, etc. All different trips at different times.

I could recommend a great farm B&B near Hereford, but I don't think that's best location for what you want to do. (It's the first one on that FarmStay site if you search on Hereford.)