Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Recommendations for Florence Hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/recommendations-for-florence-hotels-50972/)

Anthony Aug 15th, 1999 09:40 PM

Recommendations for Florence Hotels

Ok guys, I'm looking for a hotel in Florence so I'd like some suggestions from places that everyone has stayed in. <BR>I'd like to stay close to maybe Duomo, but around the train station would be fine also. <BR>Since

Chloe Aug 16th, 1999 03:01 AM

I liked La Residenza on Via Tournabuoni. tel. 055/218684; fax 055/284197. Nice rooftop terrace!

elaine Aug 16th, 1999 03:44 AM

If you do a Search here on Florence hotels you will see many past recommendations. <BR> Good luck <BR> <BR> <BR>

Steve the Guide Aug 16th, 1999 05:49 AM

In front the Duomo I suggest Hotel Aldini, great location and good value.Web-site: www.pronet.it/hotelaldini <BR>

tom Aug 16th, 1999 06:12 AM

Anthony, <BR> <BR>Am going to Florence in november and will be staying at the Hotel Lombardi. It is a 2 star hotel across the street from the train station. Looks very nice, is inexpensive and is run by an american woman and her husband, they have a website. <BR> <BR>Good luck!

Laura Aug 16th, 1999 06:26 AM

I stayed at Hotel Belletini in May. It is in a great location. Very nice hotel and reasonably priced. <BR>

Hans Aug 16th, 1999 07:35 AM

Sounds like Hotel Marios would be perfect for you. We stayed there about a month ago and had a wonderful time. Marios is a 3 star hotel ocated on Via Faenza and is about 2 minutes from the Train Station and 5 minutes from the Duomo. The Hotel is spotless and the staff speak english and are very friendly. The rooms all have air conditioning, a private bath, tile floors, comfortable beds, and a t.v. Mario is happy to take people in his car foir a driving our of Tuscany or give you suggestions for a dinner. We stayed for three nights and could not have been happier. I think Marios is on the Web but we found him in Karen Brown's Guide To Charming Inns in Italy. I think we payed about $110.00 per night. Oh, by the way, the breakfast was very nice and is included in the room rate. Have a wonderful time in Florence!

laiyee Aug 16th, 1999 03:52 PM

Hi, Anthony. We stayed at Hotel Lombardi ( as mentioned by Tom ) this April. The hotel is just 1-2 blocks from the stazione & the area around this place is generally safe. The staff & owner of the hotel are very helpful & friendly & yes, it is within walking distance from the Duomo. The email add : [email protected]. Enjoy yr trip - U love ITALY...

Anthony Aug 19th, 1999 01:30 AM

I'd like to thank everyone for their advice. <BR>I've actually stayed in the Hotel Lombardi last year. I'd have to agree it's a great location. But I'd like to try another hotel, maybe closer to Duomo would be nice. So I'll keep you guys posted as to where I land this year!

Carol Lehrman Aug 19th, 1999 07:52 AM

Hi Anthony: <BR> <BR>We stayed at the Hotel Romagna, down the street from the Duomo and almost around the corner from the San Lorenzo leather market. While there are probably other hotels with more "charm" (antiques, etc), this hotel is in an excellent location, clean, quiet and the manager, Eleni speaks excellent English. She is the best part of the hotel as her friendliness and warmth made our stay special. We've become friends with her and email her quite frequently. <BR> <BR>I believe the price was around $100 a night for a double including breakfast. You can find them on the web at www.venere.it - choose your city, hotel, etc. <BR> <BR>Good luck! <BR>Carol <BR>

Rosy Aug 19th, 1999 09:14 PM

Try Bernini Palace Hotel, just behind Palazzo Vecchio,is good looking,tradicional in style, and convenienty central.Also Hotel Balestri, edges the Arno River and has been operated over four generations of the same family, breakfast included in rates but no restaurant. Another alternative Tornabuoni Beacci Pensione is almost too elegant to be true as a pensione.Good luck!

Mike Miller Aug 20th, 1999 03:08 PM

Rosy, you don't happen to know if any of your recommendations have web site do you?

rose Aug 31st, 1999 04:20 PM

I'm not Rosy, but maybe I can help, check out the website www.italyhotel.com, and then on to firenze, (it's an English site with Italian city names) and then the area you want to stay in. It allows you to check out the hotels, as well as see the actual location of the hotel!! You may want to stay away from the train station, as that area has more tourist crime...hope this helps! R. PS the tornabuoni beacci hotel looks fabulous..

Martin Dec 23rd, 1999 03:05 PM

My wife and I recently came back from our honeymoon in Italy and had a fabulous time. In Florence we stayed at the Hotel Balestri which we would very highly recommend. The hotel is located on the Arno River, about 500 feet from the Uffizi. We spent four nights there and enjoyed the hotel tremendously. It is a very warm and cozy hotel and a great bargain at Lit. 240,000 including a terrific buffet breakfast (which also made for a terrific lunch, but don't tell the waitress). The nicest part was getting a holiday card from them when we returned to the U.S. - how often does that happen?

Paul Dec 24th, 1999 05:00 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Casci this year, on via Cavour, about 1 1/2 blocks from the Duomo. Two stars, very clean, about $110 with breakfast. Other Fodorites have also stayed at the Casci and recommended it. On the web at http://www.hotelcasci.com.

Robin Dec 26th, 1999 12:19 PM

I just got back from Florence and stayed at the Hotel Brunellesci, which is about two blocks from the Duomo. Great location, great service, in one of the oldest buildings in Florence. Renovated in sort of a '70s style (only negative). Well priced for a four star hotel. Stay in a suite if you can. I wish I were there right now.

Pat May 19th, 2001 01:34 PM

Why would anyone but Rick Steves backpacker crowd want to stay near any train station in Europe or anywhere? Generally not particularly safe as the tourists exit here from the trains and are targeted by thieves as being tired foreigners. In Florence, lots of beggars on the streets surrounding (not Italians), loud and raucous area. As for anyone who thinks the train station area is prime, think again.

topper May 20th, 2001 05:46 AM

Why would anyone pull out a thread that is nearly 2 years old and comment on it?