Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Recommendations for base town (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/recommendations-for-base-town-941319/)

SKPKCP11 Jul 2nd, 2012 07:59 PM

Recommendations for base town

Dear Fodorites,

We are exploring various options where we can be based for our summer holidays in 2013. We would like to be based in towns similar to Zell Am See in Austria or slightly bigger towns like Garmisch in Germany.

We will be 2 adults and 2 children below 12 years. We will be using the public transport and will not have a car so would prefer some place with good connectivity. We are not into hiking but prefer some nice cable car excursions. Also, the place should have eateries with local food.

Any recommendations are welcome.

Kind regards,
SKPKCP11

swandav2000 Jul 2nd, 2012 09:24 PM

Hi SKPKCP11,

Have you decided against Garmisch? Have you already been based there? I would suggest either Mittenwald (just 20-30 minutes south of Garmisch) or Garmisch.

Or Berchtesgaden?

Hope you find just the right place!

s

SKPKCP11 Jul 3rd, 2012 08:52 PM

Hi Swandav2000,

We love Garmisch as it has a very good mix of everything we look for. In fact for the last 2 years we have been visiting Garmisch & Munich. This time also we will want to spend 3-4 nights in Garmisch and Munich. But, thought which other new place we can visit. Have read a lot about Mayrhofen, Kitzbuhel and Feldkirch. What are your recommendations for these places especially taking into consideration that we will depend heavily on public transport and prefer train travel. We have visited Berchtesgaden earlier and done the attractions - Eagles Nest and the Salt Mines. We plan to visit in May. We do not want a very small place where there is absolutely nothing to do. Since you are from this area your insights and info have always been very helpful. Much appreciate it.

Kind regards,
SKPKCP11

swandav2000 Jul 3rd, 2012 09:36 PM

Hi again,

Actually, I'm not "from" Garmisch but only moved here in 2008! (Love it) Since I don't have a car, I haven't done much meandering around.

I did get to Kitzbühl a few years ago and really enjoyed it. I only spent an afternoon there and don't remember much -- just a cozy little town nicely located.

Feldkirch looks like it's in a good location to run down to Chur, up to Lake Constance, or over to Appenzell. I would check to see if those train connections are good.

Otherwise, would you consider something on Lake Constance? I keep wanting to spend time there, but other things keep getting in the way!

Have fun!

s

Ingo Jul 4th, 2012 12:57 AM

First you say "summer holiday", then you say "May". That makes a big difference. Most towns in the higher Alps are pretty dead, cable cars, hotels and many restaurants are closed in May - it's between winter and summer season.

I was in Kitzbühel in late May once (20something-th) and it was quite dead. Only two or three cable cars in operation once or twice a week, the mountain restaurants still closed, the cows not up on the Alpine pastures.

Feldkirch is a lively town, might be an option. However, the same problem with the mountains/cable cars etc. applies.

Why not looking further south? Meran in South Tyrol would make a perfect base.

treplow Jul 4th, 2012 10:56 AM

I second Ingo's suggestion of Meran.

SKPKCP11 Jul 4th, 2012 07:50 PM

Thanks Swandav2000, Ingo and Treplow for the quick reverts. Ingo, apologies for the confusion but in India May is considered peak summer and it is the time for school holidays. We are planning for May 2013.
Will consider Meran and look it up.
Please let the ideas and suggestions keep coming. Just love the hearty German food and the trains (no sooner you get in one it just lulls you into sleep).
Kind regards,
SKPKCP11

violetduck Jul 4th, 2012 08:37 PM

You might consider Lindau, Germany on Lake Constance and approximately 65 miles from Garmisch-PK. You would have the train and the ferries to travel around the lake to the other charming towns. Also, you might consider Bad Ischl, Austria, approximately 125 miles from Munich. You could make visits to Hallstatt, St. Wolfgang and other villages in the Salzkammergut area of Austria very easily. This was part of our trip a couple of years ago and remains on my list of favorites. We did stay in St. Wolfgang but the train does not go there. There is a handy bus from rail station in Bad Ischl for the 30 minute very scenic ride over to St.Wolfgang. Hope you find the perfect place.

SKPKCP11 Jul 9th, 2012 02:48 AM

Thanks for the great ideas. Still exploring all options. If we fly into Zurich and fly out from Munich - any recommendations are welcome for being based in scenic towns.

Just a thought - how is St. Anton Am Arlberg? Is it very high end?

Please keep the suggestions flowing.

Kind regards,
SKPKCP11

FoFoBT Jul 9th, 2012 02:52 AM

"We will be using the public transport and will not have a car so would prefer some place with good connectivity. We are not into hiking but prefer some nice cable car excursions. Also, the place should have eateries with local food."

Austria and Germany are wonderful places, but your brief sounds like a textbook description for Switzerland, particularly the Berner Oberland. Have you already been there? If not, would you consider it -- esp as you're flying into Zurich?

If not, violetduck has good suggestions.

Ingo Jul 9th, 2012 09:11 AM

St. Anton in summer is disappointing. Famous for skiing, but not exactly exciting in summer. Want to hike between the ski lifts etc.? The scenery is by far not as dramatic/gorgeous as in the Bernese Oberland, Valais, Engadine, or the Alpine main crest in the Austrian Alps - no glaciers around.

Btw, in May St. Anton will be dead.

Agree that Switzerland would probably would be your best option.

Pegontheroad Jul 9th, 2012 10:28 AM

I love Lake Constanz and have visited Meersburg several times. It's lovely. You can get a boat to Mainau, the flower island, which is also very enjoyable.

Woyzeck Jul 11th, 2012 05:09 AM

Between Zurich and Munich - Innsbruck might be a good choice. It is a train transit hub with decent connections north to Germany as well as south into the Alps. It is not far from the Zillertal. Plus, it is a decent sized city with things for you to do if the alpine region is a little slow in May.

SKPKCP11 Jul 16th, 2012 10:48 PM

Thanks Fodorites for the insights. Is Meran in Italy? What are the attractions and is it well connected.

For Lake Constance besides Lindau any other recommendations with breathtaking views and good food. Is it advisable to stay on the Germany side or the Austrian or Swiss side of the lake. Read somewhere that it recommended to stay on the German side so that one gets great views across the lake of the Swiss side. Any thoughts?

Kind regards,
SKPKCP11

Aramis Jul 17th, 2012 03:25 AM

Meran is also, and probably more commonly, known by it's Italian name of Merano, and it is in Italy.

it is about 15-20km from the Austrian border and 1:45 south of Innsbruck.

Ingo Jul 17th, 2012 09:53 AM

Yes, Meran is in Italy - South Tyrol, actually, the German speaking region (thus the name Meran and not Merano) that has been part of Austria until after WWI. Unlike Bolzano/Bozen it escaped the "Italianization", still has the Hapsburg Empire atmosphere. Meran is a famous spa town, too, with gardens, castles, picturesque old town, museums etc. The setting at the foot of 10,000 ft. tall mountains is spectacular. Lots of cable cars/gondolas there.

Although it is only 20 km south of the Austrian border the route via Innsbruck and Brenner pass - Bolzano is quite a bit longer. Very good train service, though, and buses run frequently to get around.

pja1 Jul 17th, 2012 03:35 PM

Hi,

While we never stayed in Meran/Merano, the Vinschgau/Val Venosta just to the west is very nice and has vineyards, mountains, plenty of castles and the smallest medieval walled town in South Tirol... Glurns/Glorenza. Our favorite castle in this area is Churburg Castle/Castel Coira in Schuderns/Sluderno. From Meran to the western "end" of the Vinschgau is only 40 miles or so.

http://www.suedtirolerland.it/en/sou...s/val-venosta/

www.schlosstirol.it/content.php?lang=2

http://kastelbell-tschars.com/en/kastelbelltschars.php?

www.churburg.com

www.museums-southtyrol.it/en/museums.asp

www.suedtirolerland.it/en/highlights/castles/

www.marienberg.it

Hope this helps.

Paul

SKPKCP11 Jul 25th, 2012 10:16 PM

Thanks all for the fantastic info. Really getting confused. Any thoughts about Lindau and the places on Lake Constance which is most scenic town not too small but with good budget eating places.

Kind regards,
SKPKCP11