Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for accomodations near Gubbio,Montepulciano and Cortona?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 12:27 PM
lyv

We would like to settle in for a couple of weeks and these three places plus Todi, Montalcino, are on our list of places to visit. We've been to Tuscany a little further north closer to the San Gimignano area but want to explore a little further south. Any suggestions of a nice, little, budget apartment?

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 01:33 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

I would first get a good map and put a pin in each of these 5 locations. I think you will find it hard to see them all from one location. I suggest one Umbrian location and another in south Tuscany---one near Assisi and the other near Pienza. I would love to have the same problem.

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 05:09 PM
Graziella

Hi lyv, I agree with Bob the Navigator's expertise, further more these three locations are up, ...I mean up a hill and to get in and out of any of them takes some time and effort even driving , I would suggest to stay" in town " <BR>specially in Gubbio. ( I envy you they are beautiful....)

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 06:11 AM
lyv

Thanks Bob and Graziella..now could you go one step further and recommend two places to explore from? again nice, clean, budget apartments? We'd certainly be amenable to spending a week in each place...just didn't want to be changing lodging every nite.

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 06:32 AM
run

Hi Lyv, <BR>Last months we found a good place near siena thank to this operator: [email protected] (catherina) She is a young operator who has worked for years in Tuscany.

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 07:36 AM
Jim

Lyv, <BR>I think staying in Montepulciano or Pienza would be centrally located enough to cover any of the five towns you wish to visit.None of which would be more than 65 miles(Todi & Gubbio) from your home base while Montalcino and Cortona are about 22miles from home base. <BR>I would also consider visiting other places from your home base(since you plan on a couple weeks there) such as Arcidosso,Pitigliano,Abbadia San Salvatore,Radicofani and Cetona. <BR>There is a wonderful software package put out by Microsoft called:MapPoint <BR>Europe 2001. This is one of the best mapping programs I've ever seen. They list the even the smallest of small towns. You can study and print out itinaries such as strip maps, Current view maps along with driving directions. <BR>A great planning tool for Europe. <BR> <BR>We will also be doing this trip next June. <BR>Enjoy

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 11:54 AM
lyv

Thanks Jim...any nice, budget apartmetns in Pienza, Montepulciano that anyone can suggest...I would love to be able to stay in one location the whole time and think we can manage 65 mile day trips to accomplish that..Good idea.

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 01:11 PM
elizabeth

Try a web site called Slowtrav.com. They have lots of very specific reviews of properties in this area. It is a great resource for planning travels in Italy.

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 02:05 PM
Bill

Jim, <BR>You are absolutely on when it comes to <BR>Map Point Europe 2001. I use it for my trips too. You can actually zoom into where 1"=100 meters. Now that's good!

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 03:44 PM
deb

Lyv, <BR> <BR>Stayed at the Parco Fiorito just outside of Cortona recently. Lovely accommodations and very nice owner (Roberto Russo). Had an apartment with a nice view and everyone was very helpful. It was less than $100US per night. <BR> <BR>Bought "groceries" at a nearby market that sold only organically produced food. Probably the best antipasto meal we had the entire trip (salami, parmesean, mozarella (sp?), pecorino, eggplant, pesto, bread, etc.). <BR> <BR>Although we only had two nights there we will definitely go back. Explored Montelcino, Pienza and Montepulciano one day and then toured a portion of Umbria the next. Only about 5 - 10 minutes from Cortona. <BR> <BR>Found them on the charming website and just narrowed down our choices. <BR> <BR>www.charmingtuscany.com <BR> <BR>Email me if you have further questions. <BR> <BR>DFW 11/02/01

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 03:54 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Lyv, Go to these two sites and explore options that may appeal to you. <BR>www.tuscany.net <BR>www.knowital.com <BR>However, here is the real sleeper that may suffice for all of your locations: <BR>www.villailpoggio.ware.it A rural place near Sinalunga, but great price. <BR>Good luck !