Search

Northern Europe 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2017, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Northern Europe 2018

Hi!

We've just begun to plan our 2-18 vacation to northern Europe. We are planning to be there for about 3 weeks during July. We'd like to start the trip in Ireland (need suggestions on destination and a few things to see/do), move to France (husband really wants to see Normandy Beach), then travel up to Denmark to take a boat across the ocean to Norway (I'd say we will spend 7-10 days in Norway visiting with family there).

There will be four of us travelling, myself, my husband, 13 year old son, and 3 year old daughter. I'd love suggestions on things to do, best travel methods, and best recommendations of lodging. This will be our first really big vacation and we'd like to make the most of it.

Thanks in advance,
Monica
Old Jun 20th, 2017, 11:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to Fodors.

Ireland gets well covered by these forums so I'd do a bit of reading first. France and the Normandy beaches is also well done, Bayeux is a good base and if funds run to it a day out with a "tour" is worth it for the quality of information available, I also think the St Mere Eglise museum is worth a visit.

Getting to Denmark requires a trip through Belgium and Holland. Unless you are stopping off, you might prefer to take the train to say Copenhagen. Copenhagen has the highest percentage of journeys by bike in the world >50% and so hiring bikes in the this flat city may be a thing to do, Copenhagen also houses some good museums, careful timing gets you in free.

Denmark is spotted with archeology with four viking castles (only 3 still visible as some idiot built a town hall on one) and a fair few stone things. If you follow my name back 3 years you can see a bike tour I did of the east side of the country but it might give you ideas. Danish hotel costs can go through the roof, so plan carefully. AirBnB may be the answer (I don't know).
Old Jun 21st, 2017, 01:48 AM

It is Groningen that has the highest modal share of bike journeys, not Copenhagen. Well over 60% and rising.
Old Jun 21st, 2017, 02:29 AM

You could skip Denmark altogether and take the ferry from Kiel to Oslo, if a ferry crossing is essential.
Old Jun 21st, 2017, 04:13 AM

Fly into Dublin. head West to Galway then South to Cork for your flight to Paris. This flight will be the determining point for the baggage allowance.

The arc from Dublin across and down to Cork gives the Capital, Galway as a Touring base for Connemara and or Inis Mor. Then Clare for the Cliffs and Bunratty Castle/Folk park if you want to splash for a Castle stay consider Ballyseede (sure they have family rooms?) Then drive round Dingle figure of eight to Killarney or possibly Kenmare (couple of good family hotel options) as a base for Kerry then Cork with Blarney Castle and Cobh with Fota and other options as a last night Fly AerLingus to CDG Paris.

I recommend as much of eight days as you can manage for that little list. anything you miss (and there is a lot) will be here next time.
Old Jun 21st, 2017, 07:53 AM

You can take an overnight ferry from Ireland to France - ending up near Normandy. Trains are best for once you are in France or Norway - fot lots of good info on trains check www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com. Could of course fly to some town in Normandy.

For D-Day beaches base in Bayeux, a lovely old city right near the most famous for Americans of D-Day sites -mini-bus tours take you there or rent a bike or car.

Then move to Paris by train. It's a long way to Denmark so flying is best unless you wish to break your journey once or twice -