Recommendation on my week in Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are flying into Rome for our first visit to Italy at the end of November. Renting a cute apartment near Campo de Fiori. Plans currently are to take walking tours through ContextRome, EnjoyRome or ThroughEternity on Sunday, Monday, Wednesday. Tuesday we are considering a day trip via train/bus to Orvieto and Civita di Bagnoregio. Thursday morning we thought about taking the train to Sorrento, and weather permitting, rent a car and tour Positano & Amalfi Coast that afternoon. We would use a free Marriott night at the Renaissance in Naples on Thursday night. Friday would be Pompei and Archeological Museum and then late afternoon train from Naples back to our apartment in Rome. Saturday in Rome again and fly home on Sunday morning. I've always wanted to see Pompei but somewhat torn over doing this or conveniently staying Rome. Your thoughts?
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 09:06 PM

Why don't you enjoy Rome and its area the whole week ?

Vincenzo
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 12:46 AM

We love Rome. You could easily spend a week there, but since this is your first trip to Italy, can't blame you for wanting to get around a bit.

A few things jump to mind...

I wouldn't rent a car to tour Amalfi coast-- very busy, difficult drive which is limited by license plate. Take a bus once you get to Sorrento. Also, the last part of the train to Sorrento is pretty local and not that fast... have you checked the schedules?? (google amalfi coast- rick steves. he has a good page on the area.)

Pompei is fantastic... just depends on how much you want to be moving around, rather than taking it slow.

Orvieto and Civita are probably too much to see by train and bus in one day. Once you get to Citiva, you must walk a bit to get to the city... I really think it's too much. Maybe just a relaxing day in Orvieto.

There is just so much to do in Italy... this is why we end up going back and back and back... there are always many things we didn't have time for.

Have fun... and leave at least one day open so that you can experience something unexpected.
kawh

Old Sep 8th, 2008, 03:40 PM

Do skip the Amalfi Coast this time. Pompeii and the museum is an awful lot to do in one day.

I get the impression you are going to leave your Rome apt. empty for a day or two? That does not make much sense. Too much to do in Rome!!!

Orvieto as a day trip is fine. You can't make it to Bagnoregio too.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 05:03 PM

Do you arrive on a Sunday? Do you sleep well on a plane? You will need to factor in jet lag for the first day or more, which will likely slow you down.

For a stay of 7 nights in Italy, I think you might want to limit yourself to one day trip from Rome. There is excellent public transportation to both Orvieto and Pompeii so that you still have the option of doing both but you might not want to once you are in Rome.

Old Sep 8th, 2008, 05:10 PM

I agree that you have too many daytrips. You could easily spend the entire time in Rome, but if you really want to do a daytrip, I would go with just one to Orvieto. If you absolutely want a second, consider Ostia Antica, much closer and easier to get to than Pompeii.

I also wouldn't necessarily fill three whole days with guided tours. Leave yourself some time to enjoy the city and do some things on your own. A little research will go a long way to helping you prioritize what you want to see.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 08:11 PM

I went to Rome for the first time last December and was there for 8 days....not nearly enough time to see all the wonderful sites! My fiance and I are actually going to be going in December of 2009 (my 2nd trip and his first) because there are still sooooo many things I still want to see in Rome.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 03:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great feedback. We'll skip Amalfi and the night in Naples - still debating the day trip to Pompei......
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 03:40 AM

another vote for limiting plans for day trips from Rome since you only have seven days. I agree with SusanP you could consider Ostia Antica as an alternative to Pompeii since it is so much closer to Rome.
If you are interested in the ancient Roman ruins I definitely recommend going to the Appian Way. The Baths of Caracalla are also spectacular.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 07:08 AM

Sounds like Rome is it - Campo de' Fiori - for a week. Enjoy a little video introduction to the area here:

http://www.webvisionitaly.com/catego...p;ref_item=180

Behind the Palazzo Farnese is Via Julia (giulia). Be sure to enjoy this street.

As others said, Rome is just so great you'll never be bored.

When in Rome we become regulars at one of these for morning coffee:

http://www.webvisionitaly.com/catego...p;ref_item=191

Also, there are plenty of videos on Web Vision Italy for Rome day trips in the Lazio region, should you decide to leave Rome for a day.

A perfect day in Rome wandering once you finish with all those tour tapes:

http://www.webvisionitaly.com/catego...p;ref_item=255

We always enjoy the gelato too:

http://www.webvisionitaly.com/catego...p;ref_item=194

We never miss this view:

http://www.webvisionitaly.com/catego...p;ref_item=195

Old Sep 10th, 2008, 10:05 AM

luvtravel . . . we just returned from 7 nights in Rome and we took the EnjoyRome tour to Pompeii. It departs only on Tuesdays and Fridays and since you are planning to visit Pompeii on a Friday this could work very well for you. They have a very modern bus that seats about 25 people. It leaves at 7:30 am with one stop midway for rest room/coffee/beverage etc. You're there at 11am and the return departure is at 3pm. Four hours is adequate to experience Pompeii. The host on the trip was a young man in his mid-twenties who is an archeologist student and provided just enough info on the trip without compromising a quiet, joyful ride. It's really a very pleasant day and well worthwhile. From what I have heard other daytrips require visits thru cameo shops; this one was committed to creating a pleasant experience at Pompeii. Lastly, the cost does not include admission to the village of Pompeii (but is reasonably priced). Enjoy!
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

dfpasto - the tour to Pompeii looks great but they do not offer it in November
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 10:55 PM

I fully agree with Vincenzo's suggestion: stay in Rome as much as you can and enjoy it!
Ok, go 1 day to Pompei BUT ... go back to Rome and stay there.

Ciao,
Gianni (Milan, Italy)