Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Recommendation for last night in Madrid (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/recommendation-for-last-night-in-madrid-514993/)

madwen Mar 22nd, 2005 06:32 PM

Recommendation for last night in Madrid

We'll be getting in to Madrid around 5PM the night before we fly back to SFO. Since I won't be doing any sightseeing, I want a hotel that's perfect for eating dinner, and then the next morning breakfast, and maybe last chance shopping. We'll be staying at the Liabeny at the beginning of the trip, so I'd like to try something new on the last night. I won't mind splurging, so all ideas are welcome.

WillTravel Mar 22nd, 2005 06:34 PM

Someone on the SlowTalk.com board reported a happy stay at the Ritz, at a rate of 195 Euros per night. That should be a reasonable splurge.

cmeyer54 Mar 22nd, 2005 06:39 PM

we're doing something similar (leaving tomorrow) and will be staying at the Palace. Will let you know how that goes.

cmeyer54 Apr 6th, 2005 01:05 PM

We stayed at the Westin Palace hotel in madrid the 24-26th - wonderful place, centrally located and plush. Tried to have a glass of wine at the Ritz and were denied entry since I was not wearing hard soled shoes (I had on Merrell's due to a back problem)!! So, we just walked across the plaza to 'our' hotel and had the wine in their bar area underneath an incredible stained glass cupola/ceiling.

lincasanova Apr 6th, 2005 01:13 PM

the hyatt villa magna has great reputation and a couple supposedly good restaurants. have read reviews about them but have only gone for coffee with friend.
have also read about the luxury hotel orfilia.. can't remember exactly where it is.

looked wonderful in the photos in this article.

santo mauro also a top top hotel in madrid.palatial home converted to top luxury hotel ( as is the orfilia, i believe).

Curt Apr 6th, 2005 02:16 PM

hmmmmmm no hard soled shoes=no wine....what a crock that is.....EVERYONE that walks into the Ritz wears leather soled shoes? I doubt it....were you perhaps also wearing shorts or blue jeans or some other item of clothing that stopped you?

Robert2533 Apr 6th, 2005 11:09 PM

If it's on the weekend and you have Bancotel coupons, then you can stay at one of several 5-star properties on your last night. We booked a room at the Castellana Intercontinental last Sunday using two 50 euro coupons with the reservations we made through Viajes Iberia four days earlier. The regular rate for the room is 234 euros + VAT.

You only have to buy the coupons you need and pay the VAT when you check out. Not a bad deal, but it only works on certain days.

cmeyer54 Apr 7th, 2005 05:41 AM

curt - I was wearing nice slacks and the rest of the family was in khakis as well. The doorman clearly pointed down to my shoes and tapped the soles and said - no entry; then tapped the bottom of his spit polished wing tips to show me what was required. Their loss -