Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Recommendation for 2 nts. in Pienza or nearby

May 23rd, 2007, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

I am travelling with my elderly mother for 8 days in Tuscany in August as a sidetrip during a one month stay in Treviso area to see my daughter. Have booked 3 nts in Florence - 1 night in San Gimignano - and 2 nights in Lucca. Would greatly appreciate advice and recommendations on where to stay in the Pienza area as I've heard there is much to discover in the "wagon wheel" surrounding that town. We will have a rental car - would like to visit San Antimo abbey and are open to any ideas you may have about what else is a must. Am looking for something in a medium price range - have looked at a few websites on my own but prices range from 250Euros per night and up - a little bit too pricey for me. Thanks in advance for your suggestions - I have found most Fodorites to be so helpful and knowledgable as well. Also, does Slow Travel only gear itself to longer type stays or do you think I might find something there if I dig a little deeper?

May 23rd, 2007, 08:50 AM

You're going to love the area around Pienza! The place we always stay is probably over your budget (La Saracina) but I can answer your question about slowtrav. There is a section called Hotel Reviews which gives feedback on places where people have stayed for less than a week. I've found it to be helpful in cross-referencing places I've been eyeballing. Hope this is helpful...
May 23rd, 2007, 08:51 AM

Check out the Palazzo del Capitano in St. Quirico d'Orcia, just about 15 -20 minutes from Pienza. We loved the hotel, the town is pretty flat (perfect for an elderly mom) and is centrally located to visit Pienza, Montalcino and the abbey.

Rooms at Palazzo del Capitano run about 150 euros.

May 23rd, 2007, 09:01 AM

If you would like to stay in the town of Pienza, we can recommend Relais Il Chiostro di Pienza. It's a lovely hotel with beautiful views of the countryside, doubles are $160 euro. It's fun to walk around the shops in the evening and it's only 15- 30 minutes from Montalcino, Montepulciano, Abbey San Antimo etc.

http://www.relaisilchiostrodipienza.com/
May 23rd, 2007, 09:24 AM

I would second the Palazzo del Capitano in San Quirico d'Orcia as an option.

San Quirico is a very nice town and right between Montalcino and Pienza. The staff at the hotel is also very helpful
May 23rd, 2007, 09:33 AM

Just a bit of warning about Palazzo del Capitano. Last fall we reserved for four nights in June 2007. This winter we were informed via email that they had 'made a mistake' and that there were no rooms available after all! So I scrambled to find a replacement and have booked at Locanda di San Francesco in Montepulicano. So I was not happy with Palazzo del Capitano for cancelling our reservation!
May 23rd, 2007, 09:35 AM

For a very inexpensive, but nice stay I recommend L'antica Locanda Corso Il Rossellino, 72, Pienza.

The rooms are from 75 euro (2-person) to 105 euro apartment (2-person).

I have stayed here and it is a small family run locanda (daughter and mother) who keep it immaculate. It is right in Pienza.

The only draw back is there is a very steep set of stairs to get to the second floor. This might be a problem for your mother.