Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Recommendation - driver for Naples day trip? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/recommendation-driver-for-naples-day-trip-1003114/)

DebitNM Jan 17th, 2014 06:07 AM

Recommendation - driver for Naples day trip?

We are wanting to make the most of our limited time in Naples. To that end, we would like do hire a driver/guide for the day to take us to: Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi and Ravello.

We know that this will only/barely scratch the surface; we fully intend to return with a more in depth trip in the not to distant future.

Can you recommend an English speaking driver that you have used?
Thanks~
Deb

nanael Jan 17th, 2014 06:27 AM

This is not a specific recommendation as I cannot find the company name, sorry. The driver was a young girl by the name of Nadia. She was charming! She drove very well and was much fun which was important driving along the Amalfi Coast, but was not much on "guiding information." But she is a local so we did get tidbits of info. We chose her tour company from a list given to us at our hotel in Sorrento. Had a great day stopping in each of the villages, road stands, etc.

ira Jan 17th, 2014 07:11 AM

Hey D,

May I suggest that you take the train to Salerno, walk about 3 blks to the ferry dock, ferry to Amalfi (see Amalfi), bus to Positano (get off at the top of the hill and walk down), ferry to Sorrento, train (Circumvesuviana) to Naples?

For Ferry schedules Positano – Amalfi - Salerno (P.zza della Concordia):
See http://www.coopsantandrea.com/it/ser...ea/servizi.asp

((I))

DebitNM Jan 17th, 2014 07:15 AM

I know, ira, that is how we would usually do things but thinking about taking the easy way out this time.

bobthenavigator Jan 17th, 2014 07:22 AM

Here are 4---the middle two are my favs.

The best option is to hire a private driver to meet you at the Naples station or airport and take you directly to your hotel. Expect to pay about 100E. For an all day excursion, I would expect to pay 350E
www.cuomonet.it www.tourofitaly.com www.francescomarrapese.com
www.angelodriver.com

DebitNM Jan 17th, 2014 08:09 AM

Thanks bob! Checking these out.

ekc Jan 17th, 2014 08:20 AM

With only a day, it will be difficult to see all three towns, if you intend on stopping and visiting each one. I would save Sorrento for last, so if you run out of time you can skip it. It is the least interesting of the 4 IMO.

neckervd Jan 17th, 2014 09:02 AM

I suppose you need a car with driver from Naples airport to Sorrento and the Amalfi coast. But where will you go afterwards? Back to the airport?
If you plan to go on by train, Naples may not be the best place for a change from car to train (traffic jams).

DebitNM Jan 17th, 2014 10:57 AM

A bit more info, lest you think we are totally crazy.

We are in Naples for 3 days/nights as part of a larger, 15 day trip to Italy. We are coming from Florence and heading to Rome after Naples.

I have heard back from Luisa at tourofitaly and Francesco as well.

Luisa proposes a day trip -
<i>The classic Amalfi coast tour includes the picturesque towns of Sorrento, Positano centre, where the big bus are not allowed to go, in Positano you will have free time for some shopping and sightseeing. Your driver will take you right to the heart of Positano, saving precious time and of course your legs! The tour will continue to Amalfi where you may wish to take a short stroll to admire the stunning cathedral of St. Andrew, or just enjoy the main piazza and its shops, then on to Ravello where we find the famous gardens of Villa Rufolo, here you can enjoy a breathtaking view over the Amalfi Coast, wander through the main town area and enjoy a cool drink in the main Piazza, before meeting up again with your driver to start the journey back to Sorrento, this tour also includes the stunning Amalfi coast drive, one of the most beautiful coastal drives in the World (with many photos stops)and on request stop for lunch in a typical restaurant of this area. The itinerary is entirely flexible and can be tailor-made to your personal wishes, the driver will be at your full disposal for the entire day.
This full day tour costs Euro 320(this is the total cost not per person), pick up/drop off Sorrento.

This full day tour costs Euro 360(this is the total cost not per person), pick up/drop off Naples.

The price includes a vehicle (sedan/van full a/c) and English speaking driver/guide, highway tolls, car fuel, parking.
Exclude entrance fees, lunch and gratuities.</i>

Francesco proposes:
<i> the price I charge for
2 passengers for a tour starting and ending in Sorrento is
of 50 euros per hour, minimum 5 hours, tolls, taxes, gas and
parking included in a comfortable air conditioned Mercedes
van. An additional cost of 80 euros would be added if we
started/ended in Naples.
If available once you'll book, I'll personally be your
driver, and I'll be pleased to share with you all the info
about the area where I live and where I've done this job for
17 years now.
The tour you could do might comprehend some stops in
beautiful places as Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi and Ravello,
with stops along the Amalfi drive for pictures. We could
play by ear where to go first, and where to visit longer...I
suggest, you decide. Lunch would be in one of these towns
with good genuine food and possibly great views</i>

I can't decide which is a better way to go.

Any input on either of these proposals??
Thanks~

neckervd Jan 17th, 2014 11:33 AM

I don't hink that anybody knows these 2 drivers. Neither the one nor the other tells exactly what she/he will show and explain to you during this trip (except the places where the public buses of the Sorrento - Amalfi line stop anyway) resp. whether entry fees and meals are included or if she/he expects you to pay her/his meal too (in addition to the tip at the end of the journey).
Luisa doesn't say how long this day trip will last.

This day trip could perfectly be done by public transport. Only you know whether the convenience of a car with driver is worth to pay at least some 500 USD more, compared with the same trip made by public transport.

DebitNM Jan 17th, 2014 11:43 AM

Actually, bobthenavigator recommended both of these drivers.

I realiz

DebitNM Jan 17th, 2014 11:46 AM

Actually, bobthenavigator recommended both of these drivers.

I realize that one could do this trip via public transport.

Let's assume, that we are actually wanting to do this trip with a driver - any input on what these 2 people are proposing.

I would expect that lunch nor admission to any sites is included in the price.

neckervd Jan 17th, 2014 12:37 PM

"any input on what these 2 people are proposing"

It seems to me that they propose more or less the same: a trip from Sorrento to Ravello and back with stop overs at the places you like to see.
If you really want ot make the best of this trip, you must know what you want to see before boarding the car. Once the driver knows your interests, it's easier for him to improve your program thanks to his knowledge of other places that might be interesting for YOU (and not for somebody else).

I travelled thousands of miles in cars with driver (mostly in the Middle East), but I always fixed first the program and then discussed it with the driver as only he can know the best time of the day for the visit of certain otherwise congested places, only he knows which secondary roads are the most scenic ones's and wihich roads he has to avoid because of traffic jams, etc.

bobthenavigator Jan 17th, 2014 12:57 PM

Francesco is a real hunk and funny!
You tell him what you want.

TexasAggie Jan 17th, 2014 01:02 PM

We used Francesco Marrapense in 2008 and we was reliable, prompt, and quite courteous

TexasAggie Jan 17th, 2014 01:04 PM

P.S. the restaurant that Francesco took us to in Ravello was fantastic! We were running late and it was getting close to the end of the lunch window. He called ahead and they saved a table for us. 6 years later we talk about that meal...

WWK Jan 17th, 2014 01:34 PM

We've used tourofitaly many times. Love the company, love the drivers. ALso had a great trip with a company called GUEMAR TRAVEL, based in Sorrento. They were recommended by a poster here on Fodors, and we had a wonderful day with them touring Positano-Naples. Good luck

DebitNM Jan 17th, 2014 01:50 PM

Correction - Luisa is with "Sorrento Silver Star" -- not tourofitaly.com