Recommend travel alone or a tour?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2003, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a female grad student who wishes to travel to Italy over my Winter Break (mid Dec for 3 weeks). 1) Would you recommend traveling alone or with a tour situation? 2) Thinking of the upper half of Italy (Bellagio, others), recommendations? 3) Weather that time of year? (Hope I'm not snowed in!!) 4) Any other recommendations? Thanks!! Sherry
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 10:33 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Here's my suggested 'checklist' to help consider your options...

Have you ever traveled solo before? Are you comfortable with the idea? Do you know how to do air & hotels over the internet? I'm single, female, and always plan my own trips (love it & they've always been fantastic!) but that doesn't mean it's right for everyone.

Would you prefer to go at your own pace and plan your own days? Spending more time in each place and going at a slower pace? Or have a set itinerary of siteseeing, meals, and hotels picked for you, usually only a day or two in each location? Do you like being around other people as part of a group, or do you prefer to be more independent?

Three weeks is a long trip (longer than most organized tours offer). Also when you price package deals realize there is often a substantial 'single supplement' because the list prices are usually 'per person double occupancy'

Hope this is helpful to you in some way. Good luck!
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 10:39 AM

One thing you can do is go on your own and then take commercial excursions for the day. It gives you the flexibility of traveling by the seat of your pants, with the company of other folks during selected days.
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 03:52 PM

I've done both and it really depends on how comfortable you think you'd be on your own. There are lots of ways to meet people when traveling alone. In fact often, I find I meet more.Taking day tours is a really easy way to meet people. Joining in on conversations when it seems appropriate is another way I meet others while traveling.
Taking a tour will take the hassle out of booking everything on your own.You won't be at a loss for company, but then again, you may be stuck with some people who will drive you insane.
I like the power I feel from navigating foriegn countries on my own. I like the comraderie of a really good tour group too.
Northern Italy is an easy place for a single woman to travel. The people are incredibly friendly and the scenery is stunning.
It may be too late to book a tour. And as far as travel on your own, you should be booking air and hotel now as well.
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 04:09 AM
ira

Hi sherry,

If you are going this December, you should be booking your flights and hotels now.

Have you decided on your itinerary?
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

I just wanted to thank Suze, Grasshopper, McBetsy and Ira for their responses to my posting...great information!! Thanks to Suze and Grasshopper, I have decided that going solo is the way for me--you were right, I am more of an independent person rather than a group person, and there could be people in a group who could drive me insane!! Wouldn't want that!! Great ideas on the excursion trips, too. Thanks to McBetsy and Ira too, you were correct, I need to start booking my flights and hotels now. I didn't want to do that until I received some information from wise travelers such as yourselves...thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond, you have helped me more than you know. Sherry
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 07:05 AM
ira

Hi Sherry,

When you have your tentative itinerary together, let us know and we will help you tweak it.
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 09:21 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Great!! Glad you liked our ideas. Quite honestly besides fear of getting stuck with a group of folks that might drive me nuts (haha)... the idea of someone telling me I have to get up at 6AM on my vacation and get on a bus to wherever is next, is enough that I never have considered a package.

I can't help generally with northern Italy (but have been to Venice twice) but if you need any moral support or packing tips, etc. feel free to write me direct [email protected]
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 01:41 PM

Can anyone recommend a great tour of Europe for a woman traveling alone? I am interested in traveling to Europe (France & Italy) soon I would like to join a tour. I have never been, so I thought a tour would be the way to go instead of being alone the whole time to try to navigate it myself. I am a mid-30's professional who would appreciate traveling with like-minded people. Any suggestions?