Recommend Dec/Jan in Vienna and Salzburg

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 10:13 AM
Perla

Recommend Dec/Jan in Vienna and Salzburg

We're planning to go for the New Years Eve concert in Vienna. Are there a lot of attractions that will be closed for winter? Also thinking of making a side trip to Salzburg then--would you recommend train or car?

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 04:29 PM
Frederic

I would highly recommend your trip during that time.
Most attractions are open excepting the Spanish Riding Schol and Boys choir.
New Years is magical in Vienna with the entire central district closed to vehicles and turned into a festival.
A train is best to Salzburg.It runs numerous times daily from the Westbahnhof and allows you to avoid any bad weather.
A car in Salzburg or Vienna is not needed.It is also very costly to park.
Enjoy your time here.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 10:05 AM
Denise

Hi Perla:

Frederic's comments are incorrect regarding most attractions. I travelled to Vienna over New Years and saw both the Boys Choir and the Spanish Riding School. The riding school also added a performance for New Years Day. The choir performs on Sunday mornings as do the horses. I enjoyed both, plus the operetta Die Fleidermaus (?sp.) at the States Opera and the Strauss Ensemble at the Musikverin also must sees. Don't forget midnight on New Years Eve - waltzing down the Graben was most memorable. I would take a train to Salzburg and again most museums and attractions are open.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 10:18 AM
Steve

We were in Vienna and Salzburg at Christmastime last year. It was wonderful. Bring lots of layer clothing!
2 hotel recommendations:
Vienna-Konig Von Ungarn. Our favorite hotel in Europe. Lovely small hotel with the absolute best location.
Salzburg: Sacher. It ain't cheap but call or e-mail directly and see if you can get a good rate. We did and it was awesome. The views are million dollar and the coffee shop serves the world famous Sacher Torte. Yum! Have a great time!

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 10:26 AM
Annalynn

Another New Year's Eve option is the Kaiserball at the Hofburg palace where you can "waltz amidst royalty." Its unbelievably expensive, but soooo worth it. Tickets from 2 yrs ago were $500 each including the meal, or $295 each without the meal.