Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

recommend book to learn history of italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 07:19 PM
Kim

I want to get an overall appreciation of Italy and the history there. I want a book that is informational and not too boring. Suggestions?

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 08:23 PM
John

It's not history, but "The Leopard" by Lampedusa is abeautiful introduction to the culture.

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 08:44 PM
bookie cookie

What part of Italy and what time period?

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 04:09 AM
Simone

What period of Italian history were you looking fo. Italian history is so large to cover. <BR> If you don't want boring then The Complete Idiot's Guide(R) to Italian History and Culture<BR>by Gabrielle Euvino, Michael San Filippo, Jody P. Schaeffer (Illustrator), Anthony Parente is a "fun" way to learn.<BR><BR>However, be warned. There are a lot of spelling mistakes in the index and it was written by American-Italians. There are also some half-truths. It will give you a general overview and appreciation of Italy and it is fun, however.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 05:02 PM
MaryG

I read The Agony and the Ecstasy by Irving Stone. It's about Michelangelo. It was excellent! You will definitely want to go and see the Sistene Chapel and David after reading this! You could also read Frances Mayes books about Tuscany. I also read The Italians by Luigi Barzini & The Stones of Florence by Mary McCarthy.(get the one with pictures) The last two are a little more scholarly and harder to read.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 07:12 PM
John G

If you are bright, and want to read about the history of Florence, I recommend Michael Levey's FLORENCE: A PORTRAIT. Levey is the former director of the National Gallery in London and writes extensively on the city of Dante, Brunelleschi, Savonarola, and the de Medici.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 07:38 PM
Rex

I suppose this could go off on a tanget of what IS a good history book. I like books that take me into something in depth, and tells a good story - - even if it ignores a lot of othe rhistorical stuff from the same time and the same geographical area.<BR><BR>One such good book is Brunelleschi's Dome: How a Renaissance Genius Reinvented Architecture, by Ross King - - thoroughly enjoyable, and you will learn so much.<BR><BR>By contrast, a book I have struggled to get through is Modern Italy: A Political History, by Denis Mack Smith (author of numerous other related titles, and supposedly one of the most acclaimed historians of Italy of - - and since the Risorgimento). I just can't seem to follow it.<BR><BR>My guess is that Kim mostly wants to learn more about the civilization(s) that managed to flourish, clash and co-exist on the Italian peninsula - - up TO the time it became a country, less than 150 years ago. (Not that there hasn't been a lot of civilization since then!)<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>