Recommend a tour of the D-Day Beaches in May

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Three of us will spend a Day in Bayeux in order to visit the Normandy Beaches. We would appreciate any suggestions about the kind of tour to take and the best tour companies. Although I am a healthy 81yo, I am not sure about doing a full day tour. What are your thoughts on a half-day tour?
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 04:57 PM

daleboothnormandytours.com

Dale does excellent tours; if you do a Search here or on Trip Advisor, you will find many satisfied clients.

We did a whole day tour, and I don't know what I would say about a half day tour. In fact, I'm not even sure he does them. Part of the time, of course, you are riding in the van so it's not as though you'd be on foot for 8 hrs. It is a long day, though.

Have a wonderful trip.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 07:21 AM

Ditto above. We toured with Dale Booth two years ago and he was fabulous. Since he is an independent tour guide I would assume he could make some adjustments to suit your needs. Our experience was the highlight of our trip. I would highly recommend him.
Old Mar 19th, 2012, 09:34 AM

jaauca, congrats on being as am I a healthy 81 and exploring the D Day beaches (as we did a year ago). I don't know tour companies as we were on a Seine River cruise and Normandy beaches were a side trip. But you should go and also include Bayeux Tapestry nearby. All this could be done in a day though likely you will be worn out.

A recent obit: George Kerchner died age 93 who had led the D-Day attack on Point du Hoc. I recall the big guns and the many casualties.
Bill in Boston
Old Mar 19th, 2012, 06:44 PM

Jaauca...we did a D-Day tour last May out of St Mere Eglis with a very informative Britiss gentleman named Ellwood. his website is www.ddaybattletour.com
Enjoyed the tour immensely!
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 07:43 AM

Actually there is an "s" on tour so it's http://www.ddaybattletours.com/
Diane
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 12:00 PM

We did a great tour of Normandy about 3 years ago.
We left Paris in the morning taking a train to CAEN ,hopefully I spelled it correctly, visited the fabulous War Memorial and then took a afternoon train to Bayeux. We had enough time to see the Bayeux Tapestry which is a must.Spent the night in Bayeux.
The night morning we took a great 1 day tour by OVERLORD TOUR
You are driven in a small van which comfortably sat about 8 people.
We found the tour very interesting and informative.
The van returned us to Bayeux about 6PM and the driver graciously offered to drive us to the train station for our return to Paris.
I took this trip when I was 79 years old and did not find it tiring.
It was a highlight of that trip to France.
Absolutely go and have a great time
Old Feb 5th, 2013, 01:12 PM

My husband and I(seniors) are considering the half day tour with Overlord Tours. How far is the train station from the pickup site? Would we be safe to take the train from 10:10 train from Paris that is due to arrive at 12:20. The tour is due to begin at 1:30. Would appreciate any help. thanks.
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 05:27 AM

We just returned this morning from trip to Paris. We took a side day trip to Normandy while there, it was fabulous. We used Mathias LECLERE at www.ddayguidedtours.com for our tour, he is an independent guide. We took the train to Caen, where he picked us up at the atation. He asked ahead of time if we had any special requests, we did, my father-in-law came into Normandy with the 30th Battalion within a week of the initial surge so Mathias modified the tour to follow the path taken by his battalion, he gave us maps of the region marked with the routes they took and knew the details about what they ran into as they worked their way through. I can't recommend him highly enough, it was a really moving tour for us to see all the places Dad had been through and talked about.
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 06:19 AM

http://www.normandybattletours.com/your-guide/

Stuart Robertson took my family on an amazing day-long tour of Normandy. It goes by fast and you need a day to see everything.
Stuart picked my family of six and another couple up at the train station in Caen in a comfortable van. We started off in St. Mere Eglise where he told us the story not only of what happened, but picked out specific individuals....normal everyday people who weren't encyclopedia heroes but were heroes in their own right...and told their story. He did this throughout the day. From there we went to Pont du Hoc, Omaha Beach, the museum and to the American Cemetery. We stopped for lunch where Stuart ran into a couple of WWII vets and took a moment to introduce himself and exchange contact info. Stuart is an author and always looking for primary sources of information.

Jaauca...you won't be disappointed! It was a fantastic, educational, moving, eye-opening day.