Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Recommend a reasonable hotel for one night stay in Milan

Old Jun 6th, 1999, 04:36 PM
jacquie

My husband and I need to stay in Milan for day and one night in Oct.'99 and would appreciate any recommendations for reasonably priced hotels/ther places to stay - I understand Milan is one of the more expensive places to stay.

Alternatively, would we be better going to say, Lake Como, for the day rather than Milan. It doesn't look too far on the map and I've heard good things about it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old Jun 7th, 1999, 04:08 AM
Monica

I stayed at Hotel Smeraldo very near the Cathedral. It was a nice place for about $85 per night with private bathroom (tiny bathroom, so ask to see the room first).

Do a search on this site in quotes, "My LONG story" and you can get the hotel phone number and lots of other information from my trip last May.

Old Jun 7th, 1999, 06:01 AM
Bud

We were in Milan for just one nite
in mid-May...stayed at the London
Hotel, a bit over $100, near to the
duomo. It was friendly and very
clean.
An aternative is to go to Bellagio
after you rent a car in Milan [there
is no railway]. It's about an hour
and one-half from Malpensa. Stay
at the Perlo Panoramic Hotel **
(Karen Brown listing) and take
the boat to Isola Comacina for
lunch. This was our 3rd time for
the latter, still our favorite
restaurant, even after 30 years.
It's a set menu, unchanged for 45
years, fairly expensive, but
MEMORABLE. That was our best day
in Italy. Be sure to see the garden
in Bellagio. You'll surely love
that place. Don't give it fewer than three days. Enjoy Italy, and
the memories for years.

Old Jun 7th, 1999, 07:49 AM
Donna

How are you arriving into Milan? If you are arriving by train, try the Excelsior Gallia Hotel, which is adjacent to the train station, a huge architectural beauty. You just walk over there with your bags, no more than 5 minutes. For me, the convenience is worth the extra money, and I stay there every time I am breaking up a train trip in Milan. You can cab over to the Duomo or the Galleria or wherever else you wish to go. Next morning, you are within 5 minutes of your train as well. Best wishes.

Old Jun 7th, 1999, 11:32 AM
Simone

I too stayed at the Hotel Excelcior Gallia for one night in May. This was the final night of our 14 day stay. We were traveling by train and it is so very convenient to the train station.This was by far the most posh Hotel I've ever stayed in (including the Drake in Chicago)They were offering a special rate, and at 320,000 lire it was one of the least expensive places we stayed. I was completely overjoyed after weeks of tiny bathrooms, this place is a palace. Enjoy!

Old Jun 7th, 1999, 12:03 PM
Synne

I'll add another option. When I traveled in April, I could not find room at any of the usual hotels mentioned for Milan (and many were very expensive) so we ended up at Hotel Aspromonte with a triple that included. a decent breakfast for L165,000. Not a lot of atmosphere, but perfect for a first or last night stay. There is a pretty outdoor area for dining, but it was too cold to enjoy when we there. English is spoken. Great shower and towels! For some, a minus might be that it's reached via two stops on the green subway line from train station and is about a three block walk from the Metro. If you like map-reading challenges and public transport, it's fine!

Old Jun 7th, 1999, 01:31 PM
anne

We stayed in Bellagio in Oct. - end of the season there, quiet, peaceful, and gorgeous as always.
It's easy and quick to get there from Milan - 1/2 hour train ride, then the hydrofoil or ferry from Como to Bellagio. If you wanted to save time you could just stay in Como, also lovely, but bigger than Bellagio.

Old Jun 7th, 1999, 08:59 PM
jacquie

Thanks to all of you for the advice - I now have plenty of alternatives to contemplate. Much appreciated.