Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Recomm for Hotels in Rome and Venice - specific ?? inside

Old Mar 11th, 2004, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am going to Rome and Venice at the very end of August (not my first choice, but my school schedule is brutal). I will be there 8 days/7nights - 5 nights in Rome and 2 in Venice. It is my first time to Europe, and I am seeking hotel recommendations.

I am looking to be centrally located, 3 or 4 star hotels - something that doesn't feel to "Americanized". Roof decks are a plus

For Rome I have been looking at:
-Hotel Cesari (1st choice)
-Hotel Genio
-Viminale

Any other suggestions?

As for Venice, I have no idea where to start (I am not as familiar with the areas as I am in Rome). Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks much in advance!
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Darn...seem to have left out a couple of things. I am looking to stay around $1800pp for two. Airfare is about $1100 each, so I have about $1400 total to spend on hotels (around $200USD per night).

Nothing is booked just yet, so any suggestions will be taken seriously. I also toyed very much with the idea of staying in Rome all 7 nights and taking only a day trip to Pompeii, but my boyfriend would very much like to get to Venice (and since the whole trip was my idea, I feel a compromise might be in order!).
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 04:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We are staying in hotels in your price range.

In rome
Relais Banchi Vecchi... a new small B&B which looks great!
www.banchivecchi115.com

In Venice we are staying at Locanda Ca Amadi.
www.caamadi.com

Good luck!
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 04:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We stayed at Relais Banchi Vecchi last week and it was brilliant, clean, comfortable, spacious, air con, fridge, tv.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 05:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Venice is worth the visit. I'm assuming you're looking at Open jaw flights (arr Rome and dep Venice or vica versa). Check out hotel lfora in Venice (www.hotelflora.it) and Santa Chiara in Rome (www.albergosantachiara.com).
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 06:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pensione La Calcina in Venice.

Excellent location on the Guidecca canal. Very European in feel. It's a simple yet beautiful hotel. Nice breakfast included. Rooftop terrace that you can reserve at the front desk. It's a 3-star priced in the 125-200 euro range depending on room type, season, view or not.

It is a favorite with many posters on this board. I was sent there by friends who live in Europe (it's where they put up any visiting friends and relatives for Venice). I've stayed there twice and was thrilled with it.

www.lacalcina.com
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 07:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In Rome, we had the most magnificent rooftop breakfast at the Colonna Palace. As a bonus, the sun was out, spring was in the air and the church bells all rang on Sunday morning. The location is great as well.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to all for your replies! I am in the process of checking out each of these hotels. They are all so beautiful!!! I have no idea how I'll wait till August!

Does anyone have any opinions on whether or not it is better to use an online travel service (Expedia) and gets flights and hotels together, or to book flights and hotels separately? I am finding the availability of hotels to be very limited using the Expedia/Travelocity/Orbitz type bookings. MFNYC - yes, we are flying into Rome and out of Venice.

Also, I am looking for information on the best way to get from Rome to Venice. I would rather not drive, so I was thinking of taking the train. Is this possible? Is it expensive? I tried the Italy travel website, but found the train schedule to be a bit confusing.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 09:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We just returned from Italy. We took the Eurostar train from Rome to Venice and it was a piece of cake. I think it cost about 80 euros for both of us. It took about 3 hours, I believe. When you get to the train station in Rome, there are ticket dispensing machines in the terminal that are extremely easy to use (and in English). The first thing to do is look at the timetable on the screen and it will show you every train to Venice for the day. They run all day long. You simply choose which one you want, whether you want first or second class (we always went 2nd class), and it even reserves the seats for you if it's a Eurostar. We also took an IC train (to Pompeii), which is equally fast, but does not have reserved seats. We ended up with the entire compartment to ourselves.
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the information on the train. Good to know that it will be quite easy to book.

Thanks also to everyone for hotel recommendations. I think I am booking the Pensione la Calcina today for the two nights in Venice. I just fell in love with the pictures, and the price is fantastic!! Still up in the air on the hotel in Rome, but there are still so many available that I am not too worried.

I need to do some more reading...I'm sure I'll be back with itenerary questions!