Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Reclaim your Thanksgiving holiday this year....Prague 4-nights $399

May 8th, 2003, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to my weekly travelzoo travel deals e-mail, my wife and I will be spending our Thanksgiving holiday in Prague!

We got R/T from JFK on Lufthansa and four nights at the Movenpick (the one near city center, not on the outskirts).

If anyone else is interested http://www.gate1travel.com/Destinati...DThaPra_27.asp
May 8th, 2003, 09:49 AM

Did you notice anything about being able to extend the trip and of course pay on your own?
If we make it to Prague,it will be for the first time and I would like to spend more than four days.
May 8th, 2003, 10:13 AM
MHS

There was only one Movenpick hotel shown when I visited the site. Is that the one actually near the city center, to which you are refering? Is Prague a walkable city? Can English-only speaking tourists manage ok? Has anyone had any experiences with gate1travel? Thanks
May 8th, 2003, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

MHS

Regarding the hotel, check out this thread which details it pretty well
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2

The location for the hotel lends itself well to getting around town as it is in close to the city center. As far as English speaking goes, you will have no problems getting around the city. Even though I personally have never been, friends of mine said they had no problems. If you are somewhat nervous, the group selling the package is also offering all kind of optional sightseeing excursions that would be fully accommodating to an English-only speaking crowd. Keep in mind though, if you select one of these, you end up paying $30-40 a person for it?.but might be worth it you are nervous about being in a strange land. Also, never had experience with gate1 previously, but all I need is an airline reservation and a hotel room, the rest is up to me.

Sher

I am not sure if they allow the vacation to be extended or not. I did not for $50 a person you can leave on Wednesday instead of Thursday
May 8th, 2003, 11:07 AM

I've been there twice and there is no problem at all if you are English-speaking. Also, Prague is very much a walkable city in the main central area. Also, the Movenpick is not dead center in the old square, but it's close by across the river in a decent area and near public transportation.
May 8th, 2003, 12:10 PM

Prague is very walkable and being an English-only speaker is not a problem. It was the first European city I ever visited six years ago and I had no trouble finding my way around with a good map. The only warning I would give is that there are pickpockets there just as there are in many European cities. Don't make yourself an easy mark. It is a very beautiful city; I think it is close to being the most beautiful city in Europe. If you like classical music, it is a real gem.
May 12th, 2003, 11:37 AM

My partner and I also booked the trip and are really happy about it. I did extend the trip two nights. We are traveling out of San Francisco. (We live in Reno). This will be our first trip to Prague ...any suggestions? Also anyone stayed at the Movenpick in Prague? Looks good from the web site and thier restaurant Il Guardino is recommended in Lonley Planet.
May 12th, 2003, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

JimReno,

Seeing as how we will be in the same hotel and probably same airplane going out, if you and your partner are interested in meeting up with my wife and me feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] and we can arrange something.