Notices

Recipe for French Macarons

Old Jun 14th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recipe for French Macarons

Wasn't there a recipe here a while back for these yummy little treats? I can't find anything with the Search option. We're getting together with cousins with whom we went to France in May, and I wanted to serve the macarons, which were an important part of our stay in Paris.

Thank you, anyone!
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 12:46 PM

I don't recall seeing a recipe here, but I found this on line and Laduree is mentioned

http://www.alacuisine.org/alacuisine...ns_imbb_1.html
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 12:51 PM
ira

Hi G,

Try http://www.alacuisine.org/alacuisine...ns_imbb_1.html

Good luck.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 12:57 PM

I just found the thread that contained the recipe and topped it for you. I tried it with not too much success, however the fault may have been with me, not the recipe! Good luck and let us know how they turn out.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 12:59 PM
ira

Margie's link is
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34461964
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all, but it sounds as though the results are a bit dicey. Might just have to go with a tried and true tarte tatin recipe!

So, let's see; must put Lillet and now macarons on grocery list for next trip to Paris!
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 06:20 PM

here's an amusing old article from french news.
Macaroony loony
Only in France could macaroons become the subject of big bucks, bitter rivalry and...truffles and ketchup. Dominique Ageorges reports.

For as long as anyone can remember, mouth-watering macaroons have sat quietly on bakers' shelves tempting the sweet-toothed shopper. But now the cookies are the focus of a high-stakes war between France's top patissiers.

As the great chefs summon up every last ounce of know-how to do battle for a lion's share of the lucrative macaroon market, the cookies have seen their shape, size, colours and taste whipped about in a storm of creativity .

Currently spilling out of ovens square instead of round, macaroons have been around in France since the 18th century and were always a favourite because of the subtle contrast between the crunchy outside and the light chewy inside.

Today gourmet bakers such as Lenôtre, Pierre Hermé and Ladurée say multi-coloured macaroons are their biggest seller, "representing between 25 and 28 percent of boutique sales", according to Herme.

Lenôtre produces around 1.2 million macaroons a year for its boutiques and catering business, or around 16 tonnes, according to Martial Enguehard, the firm's production manager.

Ladurée, which made its name from baking quality macaroons, says the tiny cakes represent half of the firm's turnover.

"We sell 6,000 a day - or more than two million a year", said head patissier Philippe Andrieu.

Thanks to the creativity of the great chefs, macaroons, which are made of almonds, sugar and egg-whites, have been piling up on display in a variety of flavours far broader than the traditional almond, chocolate or coffee blends of yesteryear.

Macaroons with ketchup, a Pierre Hermé creation, were a sensation when they were served up at the glitzy fifth anniversary party held at Paris' top trend-setting boutique, Colette.

For the staider palate, Hermé added expensive white truffle, "an extraordinary seasoning", he said, as well as grilled hazelnut "which adds nuance to the heady taste of truffle".

Hermés had already created a scandal in the genteel world of the tearoom macaroons by flavouring the cakes with olive oil, rose or salted caramel.

Now both Lenôtre and Ladurée have attacked the traditional shape of the cookie by making it square.

"We were tired of hearing nothing but talk about other people's macaroons while ours were excellent", said Lenôtre's Enguehard.

Patisserie however is a fine art and the change in shape was no mean affair, taking a full nine months after the chefs decided to also add fresh fruit.

Ladurée launched its square macaroon to mark the opening of a new store

"Macaroons are not as sweet as they used to be but the flavours are more unusual," said Andrieu. After toying with ginger and apricot, and lime and basil, the patissier now is using raw muscovado sugar from Mauritius, which has a slight licorice and caramel flavour.

But despite the novelty of the new shapes and flavours, "60 to 70 percent of our sales are classical macaroons", Andrieu said.

November 2002

©AFP