Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Recharging camera batteries in Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/recharging-camera-batteries-in-europe-353238/)

Mike1966 Aug 29th, 2003 01:43 PM

Recharging camera batteries in Europe

What are the problems involved with recharging digital camera batteries in Europe??

simpsonc510 Aug 29th, 2003 01:51 PM

You'll probably need an adaptor because Europe is 220 volts and the US is 120. You'll fry your batteries if you plug them in w/out adapting voltage first (IMHO). I pretty much "cooked" a travel iron in Paris once because I didn't have adaptor!

londongirl Aug 29th, 2003 01:58 PM

Most chargers are now dual voltage- so check the unit. But you will need an adaptor (as opposed to a converter that simpson was referring to) Rick Steves carries an inexpensive set of all 3 European adaptors.

squeaky88th Aug 29th, 2003 02:32 PM

I have a Canon G3 and had no problems charging in Europe. The adapter is dual voltage. Check your manual for specs on the charger.

Randy Aug 30th, 2003 10:05 AM

I don't know what kind of camera you have, but I have an Olympus that takes 4 AA batteries. If I use the standard batteries, I am lucky to get a battery life of 2 weeks. I now use the Energizer E2 Lithium battery and they will typically last for 6 months. I also try to minimize the use of the LCD viewer when taking pictures. The LCD viewer really drains the batteries fast. Last year when I went to France I put in a new set of lithium batteries, took about 500 pictures while I was there and did not have to replace the batteries until about a month ago (about an 8 month battery life). I feel it is a lot less complicated to use the lithum batteries, with a back-up set of the same, than bothering with recharging batteries.

Gretchen Aug 30th, 2003 12:53 PM

I have an Olympus and use rechargeable NiMh batteries. We found that our recharger worked in the shaver plug of the bathroom. Don't use the LCD viewer and you can take 100's of pics from one charge.

BrimhamRocks Aug 30th, 2003 01:31 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought an adaptor referred to something that adapts your PLUG from US to Europe.

If Mike's battery charger isn't dual voltage, then a plain adaptor won't do the job. He will blow the charger up if he plugs it into a European socket.

If it's not dual voltage, then Mike would need a converter.

Do I have this correct?

Nutella Aug 31st, 2003 04:03 AM

I would recommend buying a separate battery charger instead of plugging the cord from the camera to the outlet to recharge the batteries inside the camera. I have a Lenmar charger, it's dual voltage and all you need is the plug adaptor, but there are plenty of brands out there.

The reason is that I'm afraid of power surges. In a hotel room it's unlikely that you'll have a surge protector like you have at home. Plugging an expensive camera directly into the wall seems too risky to me.

ira Aug 31st, 2003 04:59 AM

Yes, Brimham, you are correct.

An adapter fits a plug to the wall outlet.

A converter changes the voltage from 220 to 110.

Mike1966 Sep 2nd, 2003 05:42 AM

Thanks for all your advice. It was very helpful. The camera I'm looking to buy comes with a lithium battery pack and an optional NiMH rechargeable pack. I'm leaning toward the lithium with a lithium spare.

Gretchen Sep 2nd, 2003 08:41 AM

Lithium batteries are expensive. Just buy AA batteries and use the recharger.