Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Recent pickpocketing experiences? New scams to be aware of?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 10:36 PM
tourist

I am travelling to Europe (Amsterdam, Paris and London) soon and I'm wondering what's new with pickpocketing (scams to watch out for) and the best way to prevent it. <BR>

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 04:17 AM
hans

Beware of Gypsies throwing babies at you.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 05:02 AM
xxx

If they do . . jus' bat 'em right back at them.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 05:07 AM
elena

W were in Paris over Thanksgiving - our 6th visit. This was the first time I experienced an attempted pocketpicking. We were standing on the fairly crowded Metro, I looked down and the man standing next to me had his hand in my purse! I quickly moved away which caused me to stumble a bit. He then started to intensely study the Metro map making absolutely no eye contact and exited at the next station. I feel fairly good about the whole thing - he would not have gotten much. My change purse, buried under a kleenex pack and pocket dictionary, had very little money. My credit card was in a separate zipped compartment that is seprate from the main part of the fairly small purse and my passport, ATM card, exta money and credit card were in my under the clothes, under arm security pocket. The guy was fairly well dressed and would not arouse suspicion. My mistake - not having the purse flap facing me. No scam, just be aware.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 05:28 AM
Another tourist

We had a similar experience while we were trying to get off the metro last year. A well dressed arabic gentleman blocked our exit and his friend grabbed my wallet. When I yelled and chased him he threw my wallet into the train a few doors down forcing me to jump back in before the train left with my wallet.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 05:39 AM
Londoner

there are no particular scams to be aware of in london - just keep your bags zipped up especially when on the tube and getting on/off the old style open back buses and keep your wallet in your front pocket.<BR><BR>As for amsterdam, there are quite a few beggars and homeless but they are quite harmless. When in and around the red light district at night (def. worth a trip as its actually a lovely area) avoid eye contact with the dealers who stand on the bridges and they wont hassle you. Its generally quite a safe place and the police are never too far away should you need them.<BR>

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 06:55 AM
my

Not aware of any new scams per se. Just be careful. I know some people don't think it is worth it, but I wear a money belt (keeping only as much cash in my pockets as is conceivably needed). One editorial comment regarding the Gypsies and other people who beg: Frequently you will see these people in larger train stations (often young women with a child). As is my habit at home, I don't give to these people. If you feel charitable, give to a respected charity, who can help the homeless, etc. Giving to a begger in a station (a) encourages more begging; (b) may enable unproductive behavior (drinking, drugs, etc.); and (c) may expose where you keep your money and how much you have on you (i.e. when you take out your wallet). This could make you more of a crime target.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 07:35 AM
Q

Are those babies real, or are they dolls?

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 07:42 AM
timeka

My sister and I were recently in Rome in April 2002. We were pickpocketed on the bus. There was a man trying to &quot;fondle&quot; my sister on the bus. Which we later realized, he used this as a way to keep her attention away from her purse. We consider ourselves very careful travellers. Yet, you have to be very careful.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 12:18 AM
ttt

ttt

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 03:13 AM
Ben Haines

If people have trouble they tell the consul. So consuls give good advice and the latest scams. You can read them <BR>from Australia on http://www.dfat.gov.au/consular/advice<BR>from Britain on http://193.114.50.10/travel and on http://www.fco.gov.uk/travel/countryadvice.asp<BR>from Canada on http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/menu-e.asp, under &quot;Research your trip&quot;<BR>from France on http://www.dfae.diplomatie.fr/voyageurs/etrangers/avis/conseils/alphabet.asp<BR>from the USA on http://travel.state.gov, under &quot;travel warnings&quot;<BR>Some experienced American travellers find the American site over-cautious. It is therefor useful to check all five sites.<BR><BR>Ben Haines, London<BR>

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 04:54 AM
Donna

Pickpockets go after anything easily accessible. Your best defense is to ensure anything important to you isn't.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 09:48 AM
Marilyn

Further reason not to give to beggars (see My 2 Cents post above): <BR><BR>Last July on an Italian train I saw a young woman take out her change purse to give something to a small child who was begging. The child grabbed the change purse and he and his mother leaped off the train (we were at a stop). The young woman, a medical student just starting her vacation, lost several hundred Euros. Very sad.<BR><BR>If you feel you must give something to beggars, keep some small change in a pocket or separate change purse.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 10:37 AM
Al Godon

The pickpocket scams are legion and endlessly varied on a single theme:<BR>&quot;While feeling out of sight for the ends of being and ideal grace.&quot;<BR><BR>Where grace = money.<BR><BR>They feel, but you don't usually feel anything they are so skillful.<BR>Keep your &quot;unloseables&quot; buried under your clothes and tied on to your body.<BR><BR>For the girls, if someone grabs your posterior, you grab your purse.<BR>The first grab is the distraction that all pickpockets use.<BR>A friend of mine, who wore high heels a to augment her slender 5 foot 13 inch frame, was expert at stomping toes. (She enjoyed the view from up there.)<BR>She got a couple in Paris. <BR>Although she was not built like Jane Eaglen, she was ballet dancer enough to land accurately!! That compensated for any lack of heft.<BR>

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 07:29 PM
ccc

Pick-pocketing and mugging happens in every big city across the world to people who are in the wrong place at the wrong time. If you want to not worry, wear a concealed money belt and don't bring flashy jewelry.<BR><BR>Don't keep your passport or ID or credit cards or large sums of cash in your pocket book. Use your pocketbook for change and a day's worth of spending money. If you lose it, no big deal.<BR><BR>There are places in Europe where you can walk the streets all not long and not worry. I've done it.