Reload this Page >

Recent info on the Hotel Portoghesi?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 06:30 AM
betsy

I'm ready to make our reservations for Rome in October. There is availability at the Portoghesi (L330,000/night) for the 3 nights we will be in Rome. I did a search on this board and found a few negative reviews on the hotel. Will anyone who has stayed there recently please update us? There is also availability at the Due Torri (L320,000/night) and the Santa Chiara (L390,000/night), so if you have a preference for either of these over the Portoghesi, please report in. <BR> <BR>Thank you!

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 09:38 AM
betsy

Topping for Mark

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 09:46 AM
Eileen

Betsy, <BR>I recently made reservations at the Hotel Portoghese also and then after reading the negative reports, I decided to cancel. I received a very rude reply from them which bares credence to the reports about surly staff, etc. Go for one of the other hotels.

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 01:50 PM
upup

Topping for you.

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 02:58 PM
Paule

I can't speak from experience, but Santa Chiara gets excellence reviews on another travel board that I'm on while Portoghesi gets a mixed review.

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 06:52 PM
betsy

Thank you for your replies, Eileen and Paul. I have booked at the Due Torri, which gets excellent reviews on this site.

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 08:34 PM
richardab

I had a bit of trouble with the Portoghesi also. They tried to charge me for a cancelled reservation. After a ton of haggling, calls to the credit card company, numerours Email and a trick that I played on them, I had the charge removed. <BR> <BR>Of course, I would stay at the Hotel Due Torri. You won't be disappointed! The are in a great quiet location, have a nice staff and cozy rooms. <BR> <BR>Check out my websight for pics of it plus a more info about Rome (such as hotels, restaurants, sights, info, etc) <BR> <BR>http://home.earthlink.net/~richardab/ <BR> <BR>follow the path Enter&gt;Fly&gt;Europe&gt;Rome

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 04:01 PM
Arlene

I was surprised to hear this about Hotel Portoghesi. My sister has stayed there for years and introduced us to it last year. We had a delightful stay and have reservations again in May 2001. I am sure there are negative experiences in all hotels. I would certainly recommend it based on our experience. <BR> <BR>Good Luck.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 10:21 AM
stephn

We just got back from a visit to Rome & stayed at Hotel Portghesi for 5 nights (March 8 to March 13). Our stay was great - we couldn't have been happier with the location. The rate was 330,000 lira per night for a double which included a nice breakfast served each morning on the rooftop terrace. The room was small (by American standards) but comfortable & very clean. While the front desk staff wasn't overly friendly they were nice enough & we didn't have any problems. I would stay there again. The Piazza Navona location can't be beat!

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 12:23 PM
hi there

topping one more time