Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Restaurants in Berne Switzerland - Anything even approaching moderate$$?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2012, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been looking on the web for Bern restaurants - we'll be there for 4 days next week. Every "moderately priced" restaurant (as per guide books) seems to have entrees that are 30-40 SF. Would like to spend a lot less.

We've been to Switzerland twice before and to Bern 10 years ago when it just didn't seem so expensive. Also, at that time, we found restaurants on our own that weren't necessarily mentioned in guide books - so perhaps that's what we'll have to do: some local places that haven't been written up.

Any suggestions?
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 07:18 AM

> Every "moderately priced" restaurant (as per guide books) seems to have entrees that are 30-40 SF. Would like to spend a lot less.

Are you using the word "entrées" in American way = "main dishes" or as we usually use it here in Europe as "first corsr/starter"? If it's the former, I can understand your question even though there are also places where main dishes cost rather around CHF 30.00 than 40.00. And if you can eat pasta as main it should cost somewhat cheaper. Also making lunch as the main meal of the day can make the cost lower taking lunch special of the day, 2-course for about CHF20.00.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 12:18 PM

You might try using Fodor's recommendations as a start.
http://www.fodors.com/world/europe/s...staurants.html

NY Times. http://travel.nytimes.com/travel/gui.../overview.html

While there, visit the almost new Paul Klee Museum, a simple local bus ride and back from the center of the town.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 02:26 PM

I was there last September. I used trains a lot, so I often had something simple at <b>Tibits</b> at Bahnhofplatz 10. It is a vegetarian fare where you pay by the weight. I also just ate simply at <b>Luce</b> at Zeughausgasse 28. It was so hot I did not feel like eating a lot in general.

You are going to Switzerland, and it is no secret that prices are higher than in the neighboring countries. If it fits you style, you can get take out sandwiches. For example there are several of these to cater to travelers at the train station. These types of stores are also in the downtown, but they are harder to spot because they are often tucked under porticoes without huge signs.
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

kappa1 - Yes, I was using the term "entree" in the "American" way - as the main course.

Rasataguy - Unfortunately, the New York Times only has upscale suggestions. Do want to go to the Paul Klee museum, if we have the time, as much to see the architecture as the paintings themselves.

greg - Yes, of course I know that Switzerland is expensive! I did read about Tidbits - if we can stand to have vegetarian only, that could be a good meal a couple of times. We will be using the railroad a lot, too.

Will check out "Luce". It won't be so hot that we won't feel like eating, as you did, as we're going next week.
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 07:50 AM

A few suggestions:
- Altes Tramdepot www.altestramdepot.ch (20-30 CHF for main courses, Rösti variations for CHF 19.50, excellent beer!)
- Markthalle www.markthalle-bern.ch (several restaurants, ethnic etc., very good offers especially for lunch)
- Klötzlikeller www.kloetzlikeller.ch (right in the old town, as the name indicates it is in a cellar, rustic, charming, main courses CHF 20-30)
- Brunnhof www.rest-brunnhof.ch (A neighbourhood place, you can get a Schnitzel for CHF 17 e.g. and daily changing two-course meals for about the same price)
- Schmiedestube www.schmiedstube.com (old town, daily/weekly changing offers, some main courses less than CHF 20)

General advice: Try to have your big meal at lunchtime. Many restaurants, especially near offices (also in the old town) will have special deals for lunch - MUCH cheaper than in the evening. The self-service restaurants at Migros and Manor groceries are also a good deal.
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Hi Ingo - Thanks for the suggestions. We will probably be in other places during the day - day trips out of Bern, so won't eat lunch in Bern but will in these "other" places. Yes, having a lighter dinner vs. bigger lunch works better money-wise and also digestion and sleeping-wise!
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Oh - Do you think we would need reservations for any of these for dinner?
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 09:50 AM

Hi kenav,

Yep, I should have figured that you'll do excursions. LOL The savings in touristy places for lunch vs. dinner are less, sadly.

I would make a reservation for Klötzlikeller. Maybe for the others on Friday/Saturday nights. Btw, my favourite is Altes Tramdepot - superb location above the river with view of the old town. Thinking about it, if the weather does not co-operate and they cannot serve on the terrace, you should make a reservation there, too. Inside it's not *that* big and the place is popular with locals.
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 10:45 AM

The Altes Tramdepot is a very popular place and needs a reservation. It was more meat centric than I cared for, and I thought it was on higher price side. It is on the other side of the river on the eastern edge of old town Bern, so it is one of the furthest away restaurant I ventured to from the old town center.
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 11:02 AM

Try Migros and Coop super store cafeterias - down home Swiss chou at the lowest possible price - self-service so save on service charges - Migros I think don't do booze but Coop ones do. In every city's main shopping district and all over Switzerland - often have outdoor cafeterias IMO like in Interlaken that has appetizing views of the Jungfrau Massif.
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

I believe we had lunch once in Coop or Migros in Interlaken. Someone's cat came up to me and of course, being the cat person I am, I petted it. Sat outside on a very small terrace. Will definitely look into these in the other areas we will be in while in Switzerland (total of 7 full days).