Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rec for a late serving restaurant near Southwark, the Globe or Tower?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2004, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a few favorite late night spots in London - but none that work for this itinerary.

In June I have tickets for the Keys Ceremony which ends a little after 10 p.m., then tickets for Romeo & Juliet at the Globe at midnight. Since we'll have about 90 minutes free for a late meal, is there someplace good in that area that serves til after 11 p.m.?

Somewhere on the south bank would be most convenient. Maybe the Blueprint Cafe? Any suggestions?

thanks.
Old May 1st, 2004, 01:46 PM

Nearby the Globe I'm sure there are lots of little restaurants in the backstreets that are open late, you're best to walk there and see what you can find nearby.

Alternatively why not have an earlier dinner - then you could dine at your convenience - both with regards to time and location?
Old May 1st, 2004, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - we'll likely have a late lunch or early dinner. But since we have almost 2 hours between the two events and they are walking distance from each other, it sorta makes sense to also stop along the way to get a bite to eat. Otherwise it is just 2 hours to kill late at night . . .
Old May 2nd, 2004, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old May 6th, 2004, 02:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was there recently and can attest to the Blue Print having good food, however, their posted closing hour is 11 pm. Even given that closing time, on the evening we were there a couple arrived at 10:45 and was told the kitchen was closed. It was a Wed night not high season.

Have you considered Shakespeare's Globe restaurant? It gets good write up's for food.
Old May 6th, 2004, 03:31 PM

I hope you get answers from people who know more than I do - but in the meantime: I had a very pleasant meal at a place that serves familiar Italian dishes, like pizza, right on the river.
I don't know the name and I don't have a London Zagat's here to look it up in.
But it was after a play at the RNT, so it might have been as late as 11, and I think it's a (relatively) late-night place.

It had tables outside.

I'll be interested in what you find.

Old May 6th, 2004, 10:33 PM
Original Poster

Actually - the Globe was my first thought - but they don't serve late enough. I haven't been able to find any info whether either restaurant at the Globe is open late for this special midnight performance. Guess I'll have to call them.

that's a shame about the BluePrint. But we could get there before 10:45. Maybe the Butlers Wharf Chop house would work out??

Or maybe we should just pick up some sandwiches before the Keys ceremony and eat by the mermaid fountain out front of the Tower Thistle.
Old May 7th, 2004, 12:06 AM
chas

I think Elizabeth might be referring to the Pizza Express on Bankside which, according to their website, is open until midnight

Old May 7th, 2004, 12:26 AM

Janis, have you heard of Tas? It's a small chain of quite smart modern turkish restaurants, mostly based in SE1 and there's one on Borough High Street. They get great reviews and last orders are 11.30pm.

Check this review in Hardens:

http://www.hardens.com/scripts/database/search1.cgi

(you may need to log in).
Old May 7th, 2004, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, all

I didn't know there was a Pizza Express on Bankside so that is a good fallback. Tas sounds good. Maybe we'll walk by Butler's chop house and see if they are still serving and if not head to Tas . . .
Old May 7th, 2004, 04:07 PM

The Chop House is always a good choice as has been mentioned. Or there's nearby the Conran restaurant - Pont de la Tour which I think serves until 11pm if you want something more upmarket.

I think Fish! (next to Southwark Cathedral) also lets people in until 11pm so that's another possibility if you can get there in time.

I know you know London very well but I think you'll be surprised at how much the area between Tower and London Bridges has changed over the past few years. There are lots of eating places all around but obviously not all will remain open as late as you need.