Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Reasonably priced romantic venice restaurants (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/reasonably-priced-romantic-venice-restaurants-298699/)

mariag Mar 17th, 2003 03:39 PM

Reasonably priced romantic venice restaurants

Does anyone know of a special romantic restaurant that is reasonably priced. I have read about the ususal high priced ones but I can't justify spending that much. Is there an alternative?

Victress Mar 17th, 2003 09:34 PM

I never found an inexpensive resaurant in Venice, even the pizzarias were expensive (comparatively speaking). Good luck

Joelle Mar 18th, 2003 01:57 AM

Da Ignazio is not too expensive.<BR>If you go in summer, you have to ask for a table in the garden.<BR>Please refer to Rants and Raves on Venice for the various comments.

rex Mar 18th, 2003 02:45 AM

www.anticomartini.com might be in the &quot;reasonable&quot; price range, and yet still qualifies as special.<BR><BR>But I haven't eaten there since 2000, and I have quite forgotten the prices. Under 100 euro a couple, perhaps, if you show some restraint.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>[email protected]<BR>

RufusTFirefly Mar 18th, 2003 04:24 AM

If you are willing to take a bit of a chance, you can find romantic, reasonably priced restaurants in Venice. What we normally do in any city we visit is walk away from the tourist areas--this was especially effective in Venice. Around 7:30 PM or so, we start walking in no particular direction as long as it's away from the Grand Canal, the Rialto area, P. San Marco, etc. When we see an interesting looking restaurant, we stop to examine the menu and check the place out. If it looks good, we go ahead and dine there.<BR><BR>We never had a bad meal in Venice doing this, and the prices were much lower than in the more touristed parts of the city. Because you're looking for a more certain special restaurant for a special occasion, you might not want to try it, but it's there for your consideration.

ira Mar 18th, 2003 04:55 AM

Hi Maria,<BR> If this is your first trip to Venice, take RufusT's advice. You will find more than one 'special' places.<BR><BR> Venetian cooking is very different from the rest of Italy and is based on the fish and shellfish from the Lagoon.

elaine Mar 18th, 2003 05:36 AM

Hi<BR>Could you provide a little more info on what you would like to spend?<BR>Venice has romance in abundance and some fine restaurants as well, but imo the &quot;moderate ones&quot; will still be $40-$50 pp at least. AT that level, let me suggest Da Raffaele, next to the Do Pozzi hotel. Restaurant has outdoor tables along a canal. Very good food.<BR>Not unknown to tourists, but not a trap.<BR>You can order full meals, or just pastas and dessert.<BR><BR>If you prefer to spend less, let me refer you to some suggestions here (by searching) as well as at frommers.com, lonelyplanet.com, and ricksteves.<BR>They feature more inexpensive places.<BR><BR>I can tell you about Trattoria San Toma, about a 2-minute walk from the San Toma vaporetto stop. Their food runs the gamut from very good pizza to more serious food. Great desserts.<BR>In fine weather you can sit in the garden. Very pleasant inside as well, and there's plenty of Venice romance all around you.

mariag Mar 18th, 2003 01:24 PM

Thanks to everyone for your help. I guess I should have put down a little more information. We will be going in April. I would like to spend no more than 150 dollars (euros?) for two. It is for an anniversary so I'd like something special and romantic. Thanks for any help you can give.