Reasonably priced restaurants in Paris?

Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reasonably priced restaurants in Paris?

My husband and I are returning to Paris in March. We have been to Paris many times, but are now finding that some of the restaurants we have gone to are just too expensive for us now, given the sorry state of the US Dollar. We would love to try some new places that are still affordable -- less than $200 for two, including a modest bottle of wine.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 03:43 PM

there are many places well within your budget

on the left bank, the following are often praised
Chez Maitre Paul
Le Florimond
La Fontaine de Mars
Brasserie Balzar
Bistro de Breteuil
Bouillon Racine
Le Perraudin
La Marlotte

etc
do a search here on any of the above to find the comments
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 03:44 PM

I wanted to add,
Cafe Constant, a less-expensive offshoot of Le Violon d'Ingres, one of my favorite restaurants, but, sadly, over the budget you mention
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 03:56 PM

My wife and I had a few good dinners at (prices with tips included):

Au Bon Accueil (7th Arr) - had the prix fixe each, a couple of glasses of Loire whites and a decently-priced 1999 Genteat-Pansiot Gevrey for $170. The fish terrine, if offered, is not to be missed.

Fontaine du Mars (7th) - Very good cassoulet and oeufs en meurette (sp?). With a bottle of a decent 2000 Vacqueyras and a glass of white and 2 prix fixe - about $140.

l'Avant Gout (16th) - from now on, one of our must visit every time in Paris. Superb pork cheeks, foies gras terrine as part of prix fixe and with 5 glasses of the featured reds and whites, the bill came to about $125.

We were there just last November and enjoyed these restaurants.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 03:57 PM

You certainly can eat at Cafe Constant for less than $200.00 , especially at lunch. As I recall our bill with wine was around $120.00
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 04:03 PM

BTW the $120.00 was at dinner.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 04:15 PM

Violon d'Ingres has a Euro 39 prix fixe for lunch, as well. I don't know what the offerings are as I had to cancel at the last minute when were there.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 05:16 PM

I like Allard, for a quintessential bistro experience. It's in the 6th, on the rue St. Andre des Arts. Has stood the test of time. Make reservations, even if just the same day. We were there last March and saw people being turned away w/o reservations.

I also recommend Le Train Bleu, the gorgeous Belle Epoque restaurant in the Gare de Lyon. It's a little more expensive than some of the others mentioned, but unless you get a very expensive bottle of wine, you should be well under $200, if you take the prix fixe. This place truly evokes a bygone era, and the food is good.

Have fun!
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 05:21 PM

Since when is a 'reasonable priced' restaurant in Paris something that charges $100 a meal - i'd say 99% of Parisian restaurants cost less than this. suggestion: forego one meal at $200, perhaps doing like Parisians do and FLUNCH it for about $10 unlimited food and wine and then with your $200 savings no longer worry about the exchange rate.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 05:40 PM

When I mentioned Cafe Constant above, I wasn't clear, I meant that the more formal restaurant le Violon d'Ingres is the one that is unfortunately over your budget.

Don't worry about the trolls and the inane comments about your budget. Your budget is yours, not theirs, and I'm getting the impression that you are just ruling out the top drawer dining palaces like le Grand Vefour or Jules Verne. Of course you can dine for less than your budget, (or much more, obviously) but even in a moderate place these days, with the unfavorable exchange rate and a bottle of wine it's not at all hard to approach the equivalent of $100 pp for dinner, or about 70 euro. I'm going back myself in a few days and I'm anticipating that the exchange rate will
affect my choices. Enjoy your trip.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 05:45 PM

I agree about Le Violin D'Ingres, if you can eat there, whenever, do try! It was one of the best of many good meals eaten in Paris
Also, Allard, we are looking forward to eating there again this March, good old fashioned place with good food.
elaine, I am taking your list
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 05:47 PM

First, you stated that Cafe Constant is above their budget. Apparently not.

Next, please verify your sources about Le Violon d'Ingres being above their budget. I was there just last month and made a reservation which I cancelled for their lunch. Euro 39 prix fixe was available.

Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 05:50 PM

Bonster..I can recommend Allard and Perraudin. Have fun!
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 05:52 PM

My suggestions were about dinners; clearly lunches can be had for less.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 06:04 PM

I don't see anything in the OP's post that asked for dinner suggestions only. Other travellers have resorted to having lunch at high-end restaurants in order not to break the bank while dining at fine establishments.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 06:07 PM

Scarlett
Do you think the meds wear off in the late evenings?
>
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 06:10 PM

Please, elaine, don't muddle the issue that your information are mis-leading by insinuating other things.
At least I contributed much, much, much better, more recent and personally-experienced information than you did.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 06:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I've read great things about L'Ourcine (mostly seafood) run by the former owner of my favorite bistro, La Régalade
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 06:18 PM

Not being troll-like as Elaine charges i sincerely think that there are a wealth of places - yes 99% i'd say of Parisian restaurants within your reduced budget expectations - just get a Michelin red guide and you'll find many much cheaper - use their star system as a guide that has been tested and true - don't worry about recommendations, let serendipity rule and pick one out from the guide, and be surprised - the guide has current prices - check one out at your library or go on line. A sincere suggestion.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 06:21 PM

cigalechanta
Hope you are well.
La Regalade has always been on my wish list but I haven't been there--what are your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -