Search

Reasonable Theatre Break in London

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reasonable Theatre Break in London

Hello Friends

Would really like some advice on a two night package to include an evening performance of Chicago with hotel rooms. There will be four ladies travelling, two requiring single rooms and I am going round in circles trying to use the internet to book a package. Has anyone got a good (or bad!)experience of using one of the theatre break companies? I am looking to spend up to £100.00 per person per night.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 06:58 AM

Are you talking about that price just for hotels or including the theater tickets? I'm posting from US, but have you tried lastminute.com or laterooms.com or londonnights.com or londontown.com?

Rather than a package (unless you need transport too) you might be better just booking things separately.

What about bidding on Priceline for hotel?
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Mclaurie

I was hoping to pay £200 each for both days to include the one visit to the show. I will try out your websites though - thanks
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 07:15 AM

Here's an offer from Red Carnation at the Rubens hotel for a weekend single rate of 89gbp including vat
http://www.rubenshotel.com/default.a...D=167&sc=1
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 04:26 AM

How did you make out? I spent some time looking at some of the so called packages and I think you either get a rotten hotel, not a weekend date or rotten tickets. I also think you'll have a hard time finding your price for single rooms with a package deal. It's more work for you, but I'd put it together yourself.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 05:04 AM

These deals sound like those theatre and dinner packages I've always seen. Same thing -- either a mediocre restaurant at prices you can easily match or better, or else lousy seats for the show that is generally available half price anyway.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 07:28 AM

It's worth doing it yourself. Chicago is popular but not that popular so you should get some decent seats if you book early enough. Then use the web to find a room and you can check tripadvisor for comments about the hotels and you can book train tickets with your local operator. In fact some of them might offer a package including rail tickets although you are taking a chance with the seats. Good luck and please ask if you want more help or advice,
Adam C
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 07:34 AM

agree with Adam - depending on time of year you are planning to visit you could even chance picking up tickets at the OFFICIAL Half Price Ticket booth in Leicester Square (official in bold as there are some other booths that say they are half price but are selling BAD seats!)
http://www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk/tkts/today

Old Jan 4th, 2005, 08:03 AM

jonldn, I know what you mean, but you have to watch how you say it. A couple of years ago the OFFICIAL half-price booth changed its name to TKTS. It, as you know, is the separate building at the south side of the actual "park" at Leicester Square. When they did that, a bunch of those "rip-off" places changed their names to say OFFICIAL. So that is no longer the term to look for. You need to look for the TKTS building.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 08:21 AM

Dear Patrick thanks for that info - I get so angry when I see all the queues at the other "official" booths - that is why I try to give the weblink so people can see the map of where it is - on the Official West End Theatre Page - Daft Eh!

John

Old Jan 4th, 2005, 08:51 AM

I'll tell you what's even funnier. I had a UK friend who knew somebody was actually paid by one of those other booths to stand with another person in the crowds by the booth and loudly talk about the "deal" they had just gotten on their tickets. They spent all day doing this and thereby "sending" people over to the booth to get similar great deals. Invariably the gimmick was that people were sold full price tickets. Yes they were half of the top price, but in London there are many tickets that are normally half price or even lower of that top price.

Sure enough everytime I walk through that crowd by those booths (and the flat I rent is only a block or so away so I do it often) there are invariably a couple of people standing there loudly saying, "can you believe I got half price tickets today for Mama Mia?" or whatever, as they look over their tickets. I'm never sure if these are "plants" or just suckers who fell for it.